Engine decklid seal replacement?

Okay, I got a box full of replacement rubber from West Coast Metric so I'm going through replacing various bits as I work on my 70 bug. I'm not sure what the best way to replace the seal that goes around the engine compartment is though. Do I pry it metal ridge up to get the old piece out and pound it back with a rubber mallet? Or should I slide the old rubber out from the end?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Again, sometimes these things just write themselves. :-D

Reply to
Shaggie

...do *not* pry it open...I have worked on many cars hacked that way. The old rubber should pull out east neough...just pull it out from under the channel....it wiull likely break into a couple pieces in the process. Once you ihva e it out find a small pick to clean any remnants before inserting the new rubber...also before inserting the new rubber carfully straighten any areas that have been smashed closed. To insert the new rubber position bead nextb to channel then pushi it under the channel using a paint stick or similar device sanded to produce a beveled edge. Really a wide scredriver works very well here too...but I do not reccomend it to a novice since it it east to scratch the paint if you slip. Oncve you get the hang of the motion the seal will be in before ya know it.

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Thanks for the advice. That's about what I thought but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. :)

Reply to
Michael Cecil