Engine removal

Can anyone help me. I am trying to remove the engine from a Kombi. Have undone the cross member underneath and the mounting at the front of the gearbox. It still wont come out so there must be another mounting above the motor. The problem is I can't fine it. Can anyone help? A diagram of the location of the engine mountings would be great.

Regards Errol

Reply to
Fred

This would be a UK Combi??

May we know the year and which engine??

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
Fred

No. In the US (for example), '71 and earlier used a Type 1 engine and some had a bracket at the rear of the engine for support. '72 and later all used a Type 4 engine, the largest being 2.0L. In the US this was FI; in Britain I understand the same engine was used with a carb(s).

The Type 4 engines had a monstrous support beam under/thru the engine; this beam bolted to the side rails of the Bus.

Some years the tranny is designed to remain *in* the car when removing the engine, '68 thru '71 could be removed as a unit.

So..............What year and what engine??

Oh..............You may also post to: uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled (UK) if anyone is listening on there.

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Jim

I'm not sure about the year as we only have the back half.. We believe its a 1970 model or there abouts. Also think it's an 1800 cc motor. It has a large crossmember underneath/through the engine with an engine mounting. There it also a mounting at the front of the gearbox. It seems there must be another mounting above the gearbox. I begin to think it's one that you have to seperate the motor from the gearbox. What do you think?

Regards

Errol

Reply to
Fred

Yes, you have it correct. With a jack under the engine, remove the

4 bolts/nuts securing the engine to the transmission bellhousing. Then, take out the 4 long bolts which attach the crossmember ("engine bearer") to the side frames. Remove the oil filler tube.

Now you can slide the engine back enough to clear the clutch from the driveshaft and then lower it down.

Haynes has a good manual covering this engine: ISBN 0 85696 614 2 "VW Transporter"

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Jim

Thank you very much for that. You have saved my mate and I a lot of dramas.

Have a happy and properous new year.

Regards

Errol

Reply to