Exhaust Analyzer Needed-Help please!

Hi all! Will someone please help me pick out a reliable but, not too expensive exhaust analyzer/CO Meter?

I found a link on how to make one:

But, I think I would rather just buy one. Thanks In Advance! Any help will be appreciated!

Reply to
Jim347a

How reliable do you want it to be? Here is a cheapie one on ebay # 270359895137 or 250391421987

Or do you need more than CO testing? Maybe a professional one? Here is a better one with more abilities ebay # 190293031565

The first one I bought was similar to ebay #180337196690 and probably is buried in my basement or garage. I only paid $50 new for it maybe about 35 years ago from JCWhitney. I guess it worked but I was probably too new about auto mechanics. I think I got my Beetle to pass emissions test though.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I want to get one to set the 34PICT3 carb on my 1973 Beetle to the correct air/fuel ratio of 14.7:1 for stoic.

Reply to
Jim347a

I want to get the 34PICT3 carb adjustment more correct on my =9173 Beetle.

I think I might try one of these Colortune Engine Analyzers with a mirror.

Procedures for setup and use are simple. After warming up the engine, remove the spark plug in the cylinder that is to be checked and replace it with the Colortune plug.

Note: I am paranoid abut this since, I only remove my plugs when the engine is cold from sitting overnight to avoid stripping threads.

Here is part of the ad: Therefore, the best way to know the mixture is to be able to "see" the mixture! This may sound a little strange, but the color of the flame produced around the spark plug during combustion changes as the mixture changes.

Typically, if you could see the flame color it would be a hot blue when the mixture is just right, a yellow when it is too rich (more fuel than required for any given amount of air) and a white/blue when the mixture is too lean (less fuel than required). Interestingly these changes in flame color occur very quickly as the engine operating condition is altered, such as when the throttle is opened, when load is applied or during deceleration.

Procedures for setup and use are simple. After warming up the engine, remove the spark plug in the cylinder that is to be checked and replace it with the Colortune plug.

Note: I am paranoid abut this because I only remove my plugs when the engine is cold from sitting overnight to avoid stripping threads.

Now attach the > How reliable do you want it to be?

Reply to
Jim347a

I would not waste my money on the Colortune, there are several gas analyzers on the market semi cheap, I have lost the links but if you do a couple of searches over at the Shoptalkforums you will find them.

If you are to do it on the cheap get a heated Lamda sensor and use a regular volt meter to get stoic.

I would not worry about any of this with a stock carb setup, check the jets so they are recomended for your engine and use the idle mixture screw to achive the higest revs when idling(The manuals always tell you to back off 1/4 of a turn from there, but I always leave it att higest revs).

I have all the carb data for most T1 and T2 engines in a manual if you give me engine and dizzy code.

J.

P.J.Berg

ts so they are recomended for your engine and use the idle mixture screw to= achive the higest revs when idling(The manuals always tell you to back off= 1/4 of a turn from there, but I always leave it att higest revs).

Thanks. That is what I usually do. I used to set it that way plus an extra 1/4 turn to allow for a margin of error.

Instead of getting the exhaust analyzer i think i might get some of those neon tube lights that fit underneath.

Jim347a

Ohh, you are so pulling my leg! :]

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

LM1 wideband

Reply to
Jan Andersson

You need it slightly richer than stoich, for optimal performance and driveability in these engines. It would run cooler too.

snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

You would want to buy a product like this.

Aircooled.net both rents and sells the Innovate kit.
The first of the two Aircooled.net links also explains the correct air/fuel ratio for a VW.

-- Randall

Reply to
Randall