fan under the back seat

vwluvrs

I don't quite catch on to the application - didn't know which album to open at webshots and with 56k modem didn't want to "just start looking!" I used to have a Grainger

2C646 mounted in the engine compartment as the booster fan for the heater system. This blower has a 176 CFM rating vs the 105CFM rating on the one you use. It was in my application no more effective than the stock VW blower which I eventually replaced it with, but adding the bilge blower inline was a very substantial improvement. I just wired it to come on when I turned the regular booster on.

--

Reply to
Busahaulic

Sorry, no pictures of the application, all those pictures on webshots are just our pictures... Some VW, some not... Maybe the bilge pump mounted similarly would work, I have heard they get HOT if used in-line,,,,

Reply to
vwluvrs

How about putting a setup like this in place of one of the cardboard tubes in the engine compartment. It can then blow cold air ?

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

As others have noted:

I also used 3" diameter Atwood marine fans on a Bug that didn't have the shroud fan connections to blow air through the heat exchangers. The Atwood fans I mounted between the heat exchangers and the connection tube that ran into the Bug. That's correct, underneath the Bug. I did some sealing on both fans and wiring to protect from the elements.

A small gravity switch (which use to be mercury switches until those were banned) was mounted low (and under the boot) on the (r) side heater lever so that the fans would turn on whenever the lever was pulled to the up [on] position. The gravity switch tripped a relay which turned on the fans.

The back of the exchangers, since not connected to the engine shroud, were ducted with flex pipe upwards and located so they would avoid getting rain and road crud inside them.

The system worked so well that it pretty much cooked the fans by the end of one winter season. Although some different ducting and operator experience prevented this from happening the next winters.

Reply to
Luft Gek?hlt

.................I'm a little curious. Why not put those fans inside the engine bay like maybe mounted to the firewall and have them blow into the heater boxes?...........Wouldn't that save them from being damaged by the heated air?

...........just a thought.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

There is not a lot of room at the rear end of the exchangers. Just enough space for the exchanger to be connected to the tube from the fan. And it would probably something of a crunch to mount a fan there.

Reply to
Luft Gek?hlt

................Just run a longer tube around or over the fan housing to the firewall.

Reply to
Tim Rogers