Firing order question

4321.. wouldn't it be smoother if the order fired one side of the engine then the other? like 4231 ? yes, I have an inquiring mind.
Reply to
Mr. K

The firing order is 1432, so it does alternate sides.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg
143214321432, yeh, its 4,3 and then 2,1. Must be better to have one pair side firing then the other side pair than individually ?. Then again my inline 4 cylinder cars have had same firing sequence. After scribbling out sequences for a moment the only one that truly alternates is 132413241324 etc. May be others!? Probably a reason there somewhere , even the "streakers defence" = it seemed like a good idea at the time!!!

JS

Reply to
John

maybe this is why the DP motors had separate Ports. but they still share that same tube closer to the carb. I THINK its more difficult to do it on the cam. 1423 or 1324

Reply to
Viet Vet

It doesn't matter which cylinder you're starting with, the way VW designed it is that two cylinders on one side are fired in succession before the two on the other side are fired, i.e. 3 follows 4, and 1 follows 2. The cylinder being fired alternates from left to right bank only once in the 4-cylinder cycle.

What Mr. K is asking is why doesn't it alternate sides after each time a cylinder is fired so that the fired cylinder alternates sides twice in the 4-cylinder cycle.

In a water-cooled car where the cylinders are inside the case you don't want adjacent cylinders firing in succession -- thus avoiding localized heat build-up.

Reply to
Randall

Besides, in a water-cooled car...... Nah, who cares :D

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson