Floor pans and heat channel replacement

My '75 SB is in need of heater channel replacement, and while I was at it, I was going to replace the floor pans. I found someone to do the job for me. He said he's done a few of them. He said the pans and channels can be replaced without removing the body. Is he right? He does an awful lot of custom body work, and is real handy with a welder, but I have a hard time believing that it can be done that way. He said he's taken the bodies off them before, but says it isn't necessary. What do you think? Easier to remove the body? Easier to leave it on?

Blake

Reply to
Benson

Ben Boyle

Personal opinion: I would not want pans changed unless done with body off. That is the way I did it. The only way to do it in the car is by splicing in the new sections - if you are going for restoration this is not the way to go. Get the best pans possible though. I bought some from a parts supplier locally and was not pleased with the quality compared to the orig. I ended up cuting off the seat rails and welding the old ones on as well as keeping the rear crossmember parts - both were sturdier. I have a friend who saw mine after having his spliced in and he is now going to do the same as I did. It just looks that much better.

As far as the channels go, I guess it is possible to do it with the body on (Bugme video says they show both ways - I have not seen it though). Consider though that the pans bolt to the channels and they are a major support/structure area for the bug. If I convinced you to do the body off above then, you will already be there anyway.

Good luck

Reply to
69 ground up

Well, I'm right in the middle of a heater channel and floorpan replacement on a Ghia, and I can't imagine not taking the body off.

It can be done with the body on, but it almost seems harder.

Of course, I know that SB's have a couple more issues with body removal than a Ghia.

Reply to
Patrick

I have the whole thing with pictures on my website.

Black Baja

"Benson" schreef in bericht news:Vky2b.2748$ snipped-for-privacy@kent.svc.tds.net...

Reply to
Black Baja

We show how to replace the channels without removing the body but I don't recomend it unless the body is badly rusted along the bottom of the rear quarters. The super body can be left in place and the chassis unbolted and allowed to drop enough to remove the channels. So it is not that big a deal to do it right. Our video will show you exactly what is involved both ways. Rick Higgins

Reply to
BugMeVideo