Points re-visited

Could a burned out light bulb short out a light switch? No.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I think I've got if figured out. Just before the points burned there was a miss. Traced that to a bad plug. Q. is ; did a bad plug cause the points to burn?

Reply to
A Veteran

Actually a *shorted* out light bulb (which is admittedly an exceedingly rare failure mode) can cause a light switch to either burn out or weld shut its contacts.

Now, could a shorted out plug cause the ignition points to burn out? I kinda doubt it since the points are on the low voltage side of the coil. However I might be wrong and it might happen. Definitely a shorted out plug is a more likely failure mode than a shorted out light bulb.

Reply to
Leopold Stotch

If the points are closed and the switch left in the on position I b think the contacts could burn. Have you checked the coil?

Reply to
Dennis

I did change the coil, no improvement but that miss. I found a weak cylinder #2, the plug looked dead, replaced it and I'm going to test drive tomorrow .

Reply to
A Veteran