Flywheel drags

I put my new engine in my car and I could not spin it. I found that the flywheel is dragging on the tranny case. This is a 65 Beetle and a PO has converted it to 12v. The engine is based on a 1600cc case. What is the best way to fix this? Do I have to get a new transmission (12v design)? Will it fit in the car or should I switch the flywheel to the 180mm? The old flywheel looks like it is the same size as the new one. Is there an easier way to fix this problem that wont shorten the life of the drive train?

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Careful here; there are a lot of issues. It's covered in detail on my web site in the 6V/12V conversion article.

Briefly: The PO used a 6V flywheel and kept the 6V starter. That works OK on 12V.

You *could* put that 6V flywheel on your new engine and keep his starter. Check the crank endplay if you do.

If you *must* put the 12V flywheel in, you can grind out the bellhousing and not get a new tranny. Do a GOOGLE Advanced search on this ng for "bellhousing grinding" or something similar.

But read the article on my site.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim