Front disk calipers

Some years ago there was some discussion on this group about some European car that had compatible front disk calipers for the Beetle and Ghia.

Was there any car sold in the USA that had the calipers? I'm trying to get the front disks together on my bug and if I can save some money and get stronger brakes too, that would be great.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

george taylor

Tony, Jan will see this and answer... If i remember correctly it was a dodge omni of about mid 80's vintage...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

contact topline parts and you can get a new set for around $200 or so per kit and not worry about comndition.

this is the ability of stopping a ton of vintage metal at 60 + is it worth saving a few dollers for unknown used brakes?

Reply to
Kafertoys

why would buying a kit for a superbeetle be a good idea just to get the calipers for his standard beetle?

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Also why would I want to pay $200 for calipers when I can buy a new set for $120 locally. I'm more after stronger braking than saving money.

It turns out that the front end isn't shot on my bug after all (but the steering gearbox is on the way out) so I'm going to do up the spare beam with disk brakes and swap it all in at once.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

:D

Yes, the Talbot Horizon front disc calipers are a direct bolt-on. The pads are maybe 10% bigger and the pistons too.

They were sold as Dodge Omni's in the US. Only some of them came with these compatible brakes, they made them with at least 6 different brakes from 2 different manufacturers (ATE and Girling) and only ONE is a match. Others aren't even near.

Add to this the fact that these cars have pretty much disappeared from the streets, as well as junkyards, you will be hard pressed to find a good used set of just the right brakes.

The brake calipers do not have part or casting numbers on them for identification, and I don't have a Talbot/Dodge part number to share either. Most parts stores (Autozone, Napa, Advance Autoparts) have their own numbering system too. I don't think it would be easy to find new replacements either. You'd need to provide the store with the VW caliper mounting bolt pattern and ask them to match the Dodge/Talbot ATE caliper pattern with that. Assuming they have these in stock or can dig up the data.

A lot of work for VERY LITTLE gain. The calipers are a little stronger than the original beetle calipers, but not by much. You'd be better off with an aftermarket kit designed for the VW, that you can still get parts for, like pads and such.

So much time has passed from the "Talbot Calipers in a VW" days, that I would just recommend you to forget the whole thing.

Besides, all Talbots from that same era were absolutely horrible cars. They were junk when new. I am glad they have disappeared.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

You match calipers, master-pump and rear brake cylinders. Not much to it, as it is all a bolt-on job if the front end is of the same vintage. If you are picky you could go with T3 rear drums and the appropriate wider brake-shoes, buuut..

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Simca something, Horizon??

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Did you try to locate them as Simca Horizon?? Or Simca something else?

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

OK, I'm sold. The 60 bucks a pop for new ones is sounding better all the time.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

Simca brand was not sold in Finland since the 60's I think. (Simca 1000, wheee!)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

In addition to Ghias, the 1500 model beetle and the rare 1300S model came with front discs in most of Europe. Same parts more or less. Two types of calipers were used, one with just one pin holding the pads, and one with two pins. Pad sizes are the same I think.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

In Norway all 1500 and 1600's had disks up front. 1500, 1300S, 1302(S,LS),

1303(S,LS).

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Yes but afaik the 02 and 03 (McPherson) parts don't fit the std beetle. Which is what I was focusing on.

Good point.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson