fuel leakage / smell?

I'm hoping someone here can help me figure out a problem. I have a 73 Thing with a 1600cc dual port that is newly rebuilt.

The problem is the smell of raw fuel when the car is running. I've recently replaced the fuel tank, all fuel lines, fuel filter and fuel pump. There don't seem to be any cylinders that are not firing. I've replaced the carb with a used one in known good condition. I can eliminate the heater system as a source because it is currently not in the car, nor are any of the associated lines attached.

Does anyone have any other ideas where to look?

Reply to
Ed Botwinik

check your charcoal canister...if it is still hooked up to vent the fuel tank, but not to the fanshroud and aircleaner you will get a fuel smell....

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

I'm not sure the '73 had one. There is a canister up by the fuel tank, but it appears to be nothing more than an expansion tank as it doesn't contain anything. Also there is what appears to be a vent hose attached to the fan shroud, but the other end doesn't seem to go anywhere, it's just looped over the rear axle. This has not however caused the smell in the past.

Reply to
Ed Botwinik

yeah that is the expansion tank...it should run back to the tank and to the rear of the vehicle to where the charcoal canister is/was...

that hose was to the charcoal canister...

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Check the engine oil for gas smell. If it's there as well then check the rubber diaphragm beneath the fuel pump. Took me almost forever to find this one.

DGB

Reply to
DGB

Fuel pump was recently replaced, but from previous experience that may not mean much. I'll be sure to add that to the list of places to check. Plenty of ideas so far, but this one has me stumped.

Reply to
Ed B

Could you give me a brief description of where the charcoal cannister should be and what hoses should run where from it? That may help me put this back together the right way. I cannot find a diagram for a Thing's hoses anywhere, but it should be similar to any other VW aircooled I would think.

Reply to
Ed B

not sure of location in a thing, but usually they were located near the rear of the car...in beetles they were under the right rear fender....there is usually a line running from the front(from the expansion chamber you have already located) to the charcoal canister....there is a line from the fanshroud(usually top right while looking at the engine) that helps to pressure the canister and push the vapors out of another line that runs to the aircleaner....now this is all from memory since it has been litterally years since i had a bug that had the system intact(was a 71SB)....others may be able to help more....

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Pull the shift coupler cover and sniff for fuel in the tunnel. Also make sure there's no leak around the tank sending unit. Could also be leaking at the carb inlet nipple.

Reply to
Hairy

The fuel filler pipe is connected to the tank by a short, large hose. There is supposed to be a large black "rubber band" under each end of this large hose. The "rubber band" is essential to making a good seal at each of those 2 connections; they will never seal without them.

Are they there? They often get left out because they are thought to be unimportant, and they're a pain to get in there correctly.

-

Jim Adney

I've had similar problems with my 73 SB.......here are a few things to check:

  1. There was a plastic piece that hooked into either side of fuel tank that hooked on to upper edge of the trunk....it was brittle and was leaking. I capped off that and removed it completely.

  1. Check hoses on left side of the tank next to fill tube. If they appear wet, they should be replaced.

  2. Check the fill tube itself and be sure you see no leaks. You can get new seals and connector.

  1. Check gas cap and be sure you don't see fuel leaking out the side of the car, especially when it's full......replace cap if you do.

  2. Get some good caulk and close up all the holes going into the inside of the car that could be letting vapors into the car.

H>I'm hoping someone here can help me figure out a problem. I have a 73 Thing

Reply to
Ken

The fuel filler neck that is before the gas tank can act like a sponge and soak up gas. Do not fill the tank all the way full and see if the problem persits.

Reply to
Sleepy Joe

That piece was removed and replaced when the new fuel tank was installed. Either way, in a Thing the filler neck is a steel tube with a 2" section of rubber tube on either end. The rubber acts as a clamp and keeps the metal parts pressed together.

The fuel smell seems to be coming from the Engine compartment. Opening the duct for the heat exchangers blows the smell into the passenger compartment. I have tried opening the lid at idle.. after a drive.. and not running, but cannot trace where it's coming from. replaced everything from the fuel tank back to the carb... I'm considering whether the problem might be the carb itself.

Reply to
Ed Botwinik