Question about bumpers and brackets

I own a 71 standard beetle and i need to replace the bumpers (front & rear) , I want to replace them with the earlier style bumpers 67 and - , I guess i will have to change the brackets also, since my front apron has no holes for the brackets will I have to change the apron ? And what about the back ? Will the bumper fit just by changing the brackets ?

thanks,

Meo,

71 Beetle Montreal.
Reply to
meo san

Meo, I think If you look around a bit, there are some Adapters for the change over to older style bumpers. Also, the front apron not having holes is a bit of an oddity to me, Is your car a Custom vehicle??? The actual bumper brackets go through the front of the fenders , and Maybe that's what you are talking about.?????

Show us your ride and maybe we can help better.

( take some pictures and postem somewhere.............take pictures of the actuall front apron and front fenders at the apron...............that should eliminate more questions anyway.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Some earlier years go through the apron.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

on a '71????

( I know earlier ones were different, I have a couple of '71's though)

LOL

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

If you don't have any holes in the front fenders you probably have custom fenders that came without holes, several places sell them that way. New front fenders look to be in your future in that case. I have seen brackets to mount the older style bumpers and I have seen a few web pages on how to make your older bumpers fit your brackets with a little welding and bending.

Chuck '70 Bug

Reply to
Chuck

care to share some? I need exactly the same...

Reply to
Eduardo

On a standard 1971, the bumper mounts through the front wings. On the earlier models, the bumper mounts through the front valance. So, to fit the earlier bumpers, you need to fit the earlier style valance. By doing this, you can also fit the earlier longer front bonnet. The

1200 '70s models came like this, but with the shorter bonnet.

You also need to fit earlier style bumper mountings on the inner wings too.

-- Howard

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe -
Austin Mini DeLuxe -
Austin Mini Super DeLuxe~~ To email me, go to my website ~~
Reply to
Howard Rose

The back bumper should bolt right in if you get the earlier brackets.

Picture of 1971 1200 Beetle:

-- Howard

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe -
Austin Mini DeLuxe -
Austin Mini Super DeLuxe~~ To email me, go to my website ~~
Reply to
Howard Rose

I have to apologize to all,.............I am guilty once again of forgetting there's anything outside theUSA..................There are other options than i am used to and I should keep this in mind.

Thanks Howard for reminding me nicely.