Generator OverHaul help needed.

Hi,

I am trying to change the bearings of my generator... but got stuck dissassembling... Can any of you see the pictures and guide me on what to do next? I took both ends (fan and pulley) took out the long screws and a small screw holding a brush holder to one end...

pictures:

thanks.

ps. gen is eighties 12v brazilian made Bosch.

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Watch the order in which you take out each little piece!!! draw something if necessary. Especially when the armature is coming out, or when you are taking out the bearings, the location and direction of each little metal piece gets confusing!

Make sure you don't make the mistake I did on one generator... Unscrew the screws between the brush holder stuff and the inside. (hard to describe) Basically, the top piece (where the front pully was) is held on not only by the long screws but also some screws that connect the field windings to the post(s).

Be very careful taking the front part off... if the armature (the central rotating thing) wants to come out with it BE VERY VERY careful that you don't scrape off any of the paper wrapping around the field windings. Also, some of the wires get sort of bent in so that you either have to bend them out so that the armature can get past OR try to leave the armature in... I never left it in, but wondered if there wasn't a way to do so.

It looks like you didn't take off the thing on the fan side that fits over the shaft and which has a flat-sided circle so that the fan "locks" into place. (sorry, bad with "names" tonight) but it is kept from rotating on the shaft by a key just like your front pully is. It is in your 8th picture...the one with the cat, the blue backet, and the bowl of fruit.

Once the armature is out and the plates are off, you will find that the bearings are held into one plate by a cover and screws. Get some good high temperature grease with which to treat the bearings.

Another word of caution... don't work on it TIRED! I did and slipped with a screwdriver. Scraped the laquer off part of the windings of my armature wires.... my GOOD ONE! :(. It still worked for about a year, but has since started to degrade.)

I will be back at my PC again Sunday or late Saturday night and can maybe answer any more pertinent questions.

Reply to
KWW

this is why I am taking pictures! I have lots of pictures on my website... just browse on level upwards...

I took one screw out. It looked like it was holding one brush to one post. Could not find another...

Ok. Know what part you mean. This generator is old and was salvaged from a parted bug. Its very rusty, and it took me 20 minutes with a puller and a hammer just to take out the front pulley. The part you describe is rusted to the shaft, so I will get to it tomorrow with the puller...

thanks. I will keep posting pictures and questions :)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Nice cat is it your helper Theo Williams

1991 Medium Garnet Red RS Camaro Stock V8 for now.
Reply to
DiabloRScamaro

She's Prudencia (always in the pictures I take of the car, cause she's always 3 feet from me tops)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski