OT told ya so

I read in "Newsweek" that the snoop powers we gave the government has been used in dozens of cases........None of them had anything to do with terrorists. When federal prosecutors were asked about this they said they have a perfect right to use the tools congress and the president gave them in the "Patriot act" as they see fit. Does anyone else care?

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

.................I read that article. The author fails to mention that this bank account search and subpoena power was already in place prior to 9/11/01 inorder to make it nearly impossible to skip town to avoid paying court ordered child support. The U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services has a dept. called The Office of Child Support Enforcement that requires every financial intstitution in the nation to disclose the existence of any accounts or other assets of any person that is reported as a delinquent non-custodial parent. In other words, big brother can track down and nail anyone that has to make a living and is in violation of any court's order to pay child support. This office also uses the IRS, FBI and Social Security Administration to locate, cross reference and then apprehend their quarry. I'm OK with them doing this because children are more important than these privacy issues, in my opinion. At any rate, the cat was already out of the bag before the Patriot Act came along.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

yeah, I suppose you don't approve of Nazi stormtroopers and the SS either - or the KGB. You can't have a hard-core far-left or right party while accepting the validity of a document like the Bill of Rights. The Bush administration is dedicated to a number of ideals in direct opposition to the basic foundation of the United States. They consider the defining quality of the US to be that it's a capitalistic society, not that it's a democratic one. It shows why many of the founding fathers didn't want political parties - you wind up with politicians who worship power and money and who polarize themselves. Had I ever believed Bush was the centrist, "compassionate conservative" he claimed to be then I may have actually supported him. I haven't seen the exact language, but some congressmen are also working on a law making it a felony to record anything with a video camera in an area with a pre-release film visible or something similarly insane, and the RIAA and MPAA are working on getting legislation passed making them legal monopolies. I don't approve of pirating music and films, but I certainly don't think those legal manuevers are a proper fit for a society based on democracy and the Bill of Rights.

Reply to
mez