generator stand

I am building up a long block for my wife's buggy. I have gotten the engine tin painted the same color as the body and I was thinking about adding a little chrome to the engine compartment. I was thinking a chrome distributor clamp, a chrome coil cover, a chrome generator cover and a chrome generator stand. which leads me to my question. Is there a difference between a stock generator stand and a chrome one? Are the chrome ones junk? Thanks David

Reply to
David

painted the same color as the body and I

thinking a chrome distributor clamp, a chrome

me to my question. Is there a difference

...not positive on the genny stand...but most everything else you named is juink. Especiaslly the dizzy clamp...the chrome ones are truely pieces of garbage. As for the genny stand...consider powder coati9ng the rog9inal one...they have some very nice polished aluminimuy and blck chrome coatings these days...take a look...while you are at it have them coat the manifold ends..they look *very* good freshly done....as do the heat exchangers =-)

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Agreed with Gary, Get a S/S clamp for the genny they're only about 8 bucks and work and look waaaaaay better than the chrome ones. Spend a few extra $$ on a AL dizzy clamp if you gotta have something shiney there too. I think the chrome coil covers look like chrome covers. I mean they usually are longer than the coil itself don't always fit too good and easily rust. Again maybe a nice billet clamp (or maybe even the chrome one). And how about painting the coil to your liking? The gennie covers fit terribly too, I had to do some major mods to get one to fit somewhat decent, not much you can do there for alternatives so just be ready for a fun time fitting it. Another downside to the cover is unless you do some cutting, you can't fit the plastic dust cover on the gennie. Thats an important piece on an exposed motor. On the stands, the upside is it it will fit both gennies and alternators if you want to switch over later. I would just make sure that the mating surface to case is as true as it can be. They are just the standard aftermarket castings (they're not as good as og for fit sometimes but they work) chromed. Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

painted the same color as the body and I

thinking a chrome distributor clamp, a chrome

me to my question. Is there a difference

I would recommend that you avoid all of these things. The coil and the generator both need to radiate some heat and these things will just keep the heat in.

Paint the tin nicely and this will dress up the engine. Chrome is kind of out of place here, but is still widely sold for those more interested in form than function.

-

Jim Adney