GOLF PROBLEM

Hi, I am after a bit of advice on a personal matter. My husband bought a Golf 2.0 SE Auto from a local dealer 4 years ago - it was new at the time. It has had inumerable problems with the air mass meter, lambda probe etc . It will run fine for a while and then out of the blue starts to burn fuel and we get around 10 miles to the gallon - when we return it to the dealer it is always either the lambda probe or the airmass meter which they replace - last year it happened about

4 times and they ended up keeping the car for about 3 months whilst they tried to sort the matter out. It ran fine for a while and last week we had the same problem which they say they have resolved by fitting a new air mass meter (again). But..... they have said that they have now done all they can with the car and feel unable to accept it back if it fails again...... can they do that.???? The dealer concerned owns all the VW dealers in this area in this area and we would therefore have to resort to a non franchised dealer.... the car has done 22000 miles and they have serviced it from new??????
Reply to
pvsol

Try our sibling newsgroup for your newer generation vehicle, this forum is for the old aircooled VW's.

Go here:

rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Jan

pvsol wrote:

Reply to
Jan

I'd elevate the claim to the VW Corporate office and check your local "Lemon laws". You might also file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Has any of this occured while under the factory warranty? Andy

Reply to
Busman

Your problem is definitely deeper than the airflow meter and lambda probe. What year is it? Sounds like the ECU may be gone or something along those lines. Check your voltage across your battery (using a voltmeter), then check it between the battery and the engine. If there is a significant difference (of a volt or two), that could be what is causing your probes to fry so often. Good luck, and as the other poster said, try talking to VW corprate. I've had no serious problems with my '98 2.0 GTI (knock on wood) and I hope you can get things patched up. Look for a scuzzy mechanic shop that specializes in German cars, they tend to know their stuff. Make sure the mechanic is a nice guy though, else you may get taken. Ask on forums.vwvortex.com, those guys know their stuff. Make sure to use the search, search the archives. Most every common problem is in there and a fix is usually explained pretty nicely and sometimes even has a guide to how to DIY. Best of luck to you,

-Kevin

pvsol wrote:

Reply to
Kevin Holzer