Good VW day!

Went with someone on a trip to durban for the weekend, convinced him to take the towtruck instead of his car, "just in case..." Good move, when coming into town, found a bay window bus, very very badly rusted beyond saving, but engine and gearbox there. Owner allowed me to strip anything for R600, took engine, gearbox, panels, door locks, dashboard with all meters, seats (nice shape) , wheels, bolts, brake master cylinder, brake lines, wiring, front windshield, back and front lights, mirrors, starter, handles and misc parts. Thanks to those who explained me how to pull an engine. Inside van i found 2 good exhaust systems, one virtually new with label still attached, i found about a dozen alternators (?????) in various condition, some starters, a maintenance manual (yay!) a box with carbs, distr, cv joints,

2 pressure plates nib. Owner then tells me of another transporter nearby, went there and indeed, a complete transporter, minus engine and gearbox. However, gearbox inside transporter (automatic 2 liter gearbox) so is engine, someone took the heads off and they were loose inside the van. Entire van still on wheels with good tires without rot, nice profile. Took entire thing for R400, also had about 6 alternators inside, what the h... are those people doing with so many alternators? Towed off to first person and loaded parts in transporter. Transporter has 2 sliding doors, one on each side, weird. Driving through town again, found 2 parked aside a house, owner allowed me to strip, 2 engines inside one, both complete and have exhaust attached in reasonable shape, surface rust. Further again a load parts, 2 good windshields, wall panels, cabin lights, brake handle, wiring, fuse boxes, locks, handles, wheels, bolts, front seats, carpets (original VW in good shape, nice for my 71 transporter) loose engine heads, pistons, cylinders... Too much to name, and all together in USD i paid $150 , i think i have 6 complete engines and so many parts i cannot even remember now, heater pipes (missing on mine) and so on. Lots of chrome parts and VW hubcaps too. I believe the widebed bay window can be saved. Looking for parts, please let me know.

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

That's good to here! Glad you been finding all the cheap parts!

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Are you in the US ?? if so, and you have 67 bus parts, please email me v_uu at hotmail dot com

Diane

Reply to
::: whatever :::

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Living in South Africa and listening to all the different models over here. I can honestly say there are differences with our beetles. Not sure about the buses but with the bugs we never had Fuel Injection, Front Disc brakes were rare unless added on later, Ball Joints were never used to my knowledge, I have a 78 1300 bug in my back yard that is still using the king and link pin system. We didn't get many supers either. So with all the differences with the bugs I'd imagine there'd be differences with the Buses.

Regards Kevin

there is quite probably differences from your

assembly plant and a book of mine shows many

Reply to
Kevin