1971 VW microbus

Someone suggested that i posted this here, so here we go :

I came across a 1971 volkswagen microbus, engine runs very good, no smoke, exhaust is clean, low petrol usage, original engine and last but not least, no rust at all! , not a single spot. Notice that i´m in south africe (despite my email adress), and that finding old cars without rust is not that uncommon here. So far the good news. The bad news:

Rubbers around windows and windshield totally worn, chrome on left door missing. Dumbass painted the van over in purple and mounted a mercedes star in the front (ouch!) Brake works but very hard, pump shot (is there a pump)? Gearbox shot, very hard to get in gear (or can that be caused by something else?) Parts missing inside, cardboard under dashboard gone, carpet inside completely shot due van used as storage for all kind of crap. Rubbers and t molding around windows shot or missing. No keys exept ignition key. I want to make this one into a tourist vehicle, so what can i do, any part suppliers in south africa or elsewhere, any other suggestion? I fixed cars before. As well, i found another early 70´s van in fair shape, was on blocks behind a barn. Body is rusty and dented, but all inside is original 70´s What shall i do? Strip for parts or fix up? If i strip, what parts are worth something? Thank you

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

If it was in the U.S. - no problem! What I know about your situation in South Africa is nothing. I don't even know what differences there are between a U.S. spec '71 bus and the one you are referring to. Biggest problem is shifting and brakes. Shifting could be linkage related. From the shift lever in the front to the transmission in the back, there is a rod that is suspended in bushings within a tube. Where it connects to the tranny, there is a rubber universal joint (kinda) called the coupler. The shift lever engages a hole in the top of the rod and when you move the lever, the rod either rotates slightly or travels longitudinally slightly. Brakes - the master cylinder converts the mechanical stroke of the pedal into movement of fluid in a closed vessel. The vessel includes the master cylinder and all the tubing and the wheel cylinders which have pistons that push outward to expand the brake shoes against the inside of the drums. Now what about a pump? The "pump" would be the master cylinder I guess. You may or may not have a vacuum servo attached to the rod-end of the master cylinder. The vacuum servo is basically a very large diaphragm that uses engine vacuum to boost your leverage when pushing on the pedal. The other '70's models may or may not be of similar specification. Easiest check is to look at the engine and see if it appears the same. In U.S. specs you would be able to see the difference immediately as the later engines are flat in stature whereas the one in the '71 is more pyramid shape in appearance. Hope this helps a little.

- Dave Bart Bervoets wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@obiwan.eastcoast.co.za...

original

single spot.

and that

on

mercedes

caused by

carpet inside

crap.

can i do, any

suggestion?

Reply to
Busahaulic

Parts for a '71 Bus are very easy to locate and reasonablly priced, at least here in the US. I am not sure if US vendors ship to SA and if so what the cost is like, but you can check our www.wolfsburgwest or

to get some idea of prices.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche