Hard starting 74 beetle.

Hi everyone ! When cold the engine starts intantly 99% of the time. Once warm engine is hard or slow to start much of the time. It seems as if its flooding. HELP!

Reply to
gevans

It IS flooding.

Very common problem in summer. The float needle valve may not be closing tightly (or not screwed in tight). If engine bay gets hot, carb fuel will actually boil after shutdown. Then fuel siphons down the throat. Much, much worse when parking facing uphill.

You may be able to see it in action. After a long drive, pull the air cleaner off and look down the throat. If you see clouds of white smoke or even raw fuel dripping, it is flooding.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I've noticed some oddities with my own, er, my car's own carburetor lately so I've been thinking of rebuilding/cleaning it. I do have a kit from 15 years ago that I think I got to try to redo my old/defunct carb. I think I'd rather get a new kit that I can count on however.

So where is a good place to get car rebuild kits? AirCooled.net? Don't see John around here much now.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

pops in once in a while...

Reply to
Speedy Jim

gas pedal to the floor crank without moving the pedal will start much faster.

Reply to
Eduardo K.