heating help!

i have a 1776 with a oil cooler and was thinking of using it as a heater and was wandering if any one had done this befor and if it will work? will the cooler give of a lot of heat or not? i am thinking of making a box and blowing air throw it the same as a heat exchanger is useing the cooling fan. i also was thinking of may be making my own heat exchangers from the

1.5 j tubes that i have on there at the min. or will that course it to over heat? has any one done this with any sucksess?
Reply to
jex

I think that it would give good heat in Summer but not in Winter unless you have driven over twenty miles.

Reply to
Loosenutbehindthewheel

Lots of heat? You bet. But the ability to duct the heat and get it inside your cab might not be worth the effort.

That sounds like a better plan.

Forget adapting the J-tubes and locate yourself a set of original VW heat exchangers. (And avoid a set of those new and ineffective exchangers advertised in the VW mags).

With the exchangers installed, purchase two 3" 12v Atwood marine bilge fans. Which will cost you about $15/each. Under your ride, install these fans between the exchanger and the heater connecting tube (the one which goes into the vehicle). Wire to a swich (I used a relay) and enjoy your new output in heated air.

Reply to
luftgekuhlt