HELP....CV JOINTS/BOOTS

I changed a back tire on my '72 Super just now and noticed the yellow crappy custom cv joint boot was all ripped and broken off. Should I get German ones or at least genuine VW stock parts? I'm poor so my biggest question is do I have to replace the whole cv, or will the boots suffice? What kind of grease to pack it with? Now I know where the "oil leak" is coming from. And these boot covers are aboout 2 years old! Thanks!! paul snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Reply to
pmbedard

Paul, I have put some aftermarket ones on an axel and was not pleased at all with the results.....................however I'd stick with just the boot repair if I had no other issues with the axle. If you can get 'em, use the factory OEM style ones and buy german if possible.......................I have seen kits for the original style ones , with the two clamps in the kit for each boot. Looked exactly like the factory ones to me. Can't remember what site I was lurking about on, when I saw them.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Hiya Paul,

CV boots are a bit like buying a pig in a poke. Even the good ones can and do go bad. That being said, I would echo what MUADIB has already said, if there are no other issues with the halfshaft, go for the best quality name brand you can find.

Look inside your boot tear and check out the condition of the grease and the CV joint. If it is (in any respect) dirty or contaminated, pull it out and service it.

You might want to point your browser toward the Type2. com Tech Library for an article (with pictures yet!) on servicing those CV joints. Written for a Bus but still applicable to Bugs. Use only moly-based grease in the CVs.

And serviceing the CVs has to be the dirtiest, messiest job in all of VW-dom. Plan on tossing your clothes. A hint to help keep the grease in one place. When you grease your clean CVs set the CVs (on the half shaft) on a large piece of kitchen plastic wrap. Toss in the grease. Pull the plastic wrap up and secure it around the halfshaft. Now work the grease in and around the CV by manipulating the plastic wrap. You'll find that this is WAY MORE effective than doing without the plastic wrap. You can actually force the grease into the ball cage quite effectively. And you stay reasonably clean!

Mike

1970 Bus - The Ruptured Duck
Reply to
Bookwus1

Latex gloves work good here too.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

You got 2 years out of those colored ones!! You lucky dog, I got a wek and half before all 4 of mine shredded apart on me!

I bought a set at a shop made by CKN (or maybe GKN?) Anyway it was the best he had to offer there (VW shop). The came with the grease and bolts. They are holding up very nicely , and theya are at max angle all the time (Baja bug).

Like others have said its a messy job But do it ASAP away before you damage the CV's with sand etc...

Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

I changed all four, and had some cracked and leaking before I even got to drive the car. I just slapped a two piece on over the split one.

Reply to
Michael Kelly