super beetle 1974

I have a question of this bug i use for college driving.

Its rottening up from the back as you can see in this picture

inside is ok as you can see here
on the front there is a bullet hole a real one, dont ask me whathappened
I also wanted to ask there are no back seats, it has a carpeted wood in the back , people can sit on it but i need a seat, but the original ones are way too thick, Do you guys think a buggy bench seat would fit? the ones that are on the Vw magazines, they are thin and match the ones i have in front, but i dont know if they fit.

Reply to
camus

I might be wrong, but that looks like rot due to a leaking rear window seal. There is foam insulation in the area of the rot and that probably helped keep it wet. Bet the rear parcel tray has damage too.

I think you need to make an assessment of the car's overall solidity and its value to you. If there is rot elsewhere, you could be throwing good money after bad.

The rot looks bad enough that a whole section of the body might need to be cut out and a patch welded in. Won't know till you start digging in it. Hope the window frame isn't tooooo bad.

If budget is tight and/or you don't plan to keep the thing forever, grind the rust off and slap a piece of fiberglass mat over the scar.

Figure on replacing the window rubber seal.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

That's the best part, Albert.

Reply to
john

this is very commen for the 73 and up beetles. I have repaired this area on more then a few. Jims right if money is an issue then you might want to grind and glass the holes, but remove the foam from the inside, it will hold water and make the problem worse. As soon as I can get a web page worked out I will show the proper way to repair this area. If you have a 71 or later and that area hasn't started rusting you might want to spray something like Resto-Motoives metal ready in the hole behind the plastic air intake then seal with a silacone. I've never done it but it would seem a good way to protect that area from rust.

If anyone knows of a product that will dissolve the foam without hurting the wire harness please let us all know.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

Could you post the directions and the tools needed to patch this up with fiberglass? Im willing to spend around 500 Dollars. Do i have to have a welder? I heard they cost around 300 bucks. I think i need a plasma cutter, a sander, fiberglass, bond and a rust-slowing chemical.

Reply to
camus

wire harness please let us all know.

************ Laquer thinner might do the trick - it disolves a lot of different types of foam. HTH, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

Tried thinner with very little effect , Damn thoes Germans and their quality. There is alot of foam in those areas and even after a couple of weeks of setting in dry storage I have found the foam to be very saturated with water and there is always more rust on the inside then seen on the outer surface.

Mario Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys