Push-on oil hose comes off and torches my ride

Goodyear oil hose rated to 300psi lets loose from the pump spiggot and oil pump dumps on the exhaust == fire. Hint - CLAMP 'EM ANYWAY.

So now _all_ the cops and the fire department and the towing company knowsme. "Gee, what did it look like before the fire?" I'm sick. Just friggin SICK.

Reply to
jjs

Oh crap. Which vehicle?

Reply to
Shaggie

The GTII kit. The plastic and fiberglass car. With my pride an joy, Jake Raby's nickelsil 2165 wonder. The wreck is in the drive way still cooling off. I have no idea what's survived.

Reply to
jjs

I'm sorry to hear that. I can relate to a degree, at least. I'm sure a lot of us would be interested to hear what comes of all of this after you've sorted through the damage. Good luck.

Reply to
Shaggie

John, I'm so sorry to hear about the fire. Damn! We were in Winona last weekend but could not find your name in the stupid phone book. Sorry again on your car. Dennis

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Oh man! For future reference (and now the whole world knows), I'm not listed, however my mate is: Molly McGuire, 668 Grand Street, Winona. Of course, I'm at the same address, a nice tiny little house near Lake Winoina. Fear not, we will get together some time.

Reply to
jjs

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 18:28:44 -0500, "jjs" ran around screaming and yelling:

im sick for you too John.....that sucks bad....and now im very nervous for *ME*....i have a full flow "kit" from aircooled.net, which has the same hose and push on fittings....blue hose and brass fittings with a yellow ring?....(i was worried that this could happen...you have, unfortunately confirmed my fears...) sorry again john... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

..................Sorry about your misfortune John. Did the hose come off the spiggot? It's rated for 300 psi but what about high temperatures?

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Damn. Sorry to hear this, John. I just hate hearing stories like this. :-(

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

Aww crap

So sorry to hear. Let us know how bad it is. Take some pics. I did raise an eyebrow when I first heard about these hoses. "No way" I thought.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

John, I'm sorry you had to expose yourself to the world just for my sake, however I am very grateful. We will get together although last week I was driving the Sport Trac with a horse trailer so you didn't miss much but of course I sure did. Again, sorry about the damage and I hope you can rebuild it. Dennis

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

...just adding my condolances. I truly hope that the engine did not suffer major damage...

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Very sorry John. As Gareth said, I also hope the engine did not suffer much damage. If there is anything any of us here can do to help, we will do what we can. Bill Berckman

67 Beetle
Reply to
Bill Berckman

John,

very sorry to hear that. I have never ever heard of this happening, when used with the push-loc fittings (with the yellow collar). The other fittings do require clamps.

Which one was on there?

I run that same hose on all my own engines, with no clamps.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

Bummer! TWO lessons learned, & I hope understood by others: #1) Always use clamps on every pressure hose (the only hoses I don't use clamps on are vacum). #2) Always keep a fire extinguisher in evey vehicle! Post some pics when you get a chance, & I'll try to help guide you as to what to do. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

Sorry to hear of your burnt out car Mr.Stafford, hope your insurance have you covered. Good to hear you are safe...

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

That's a total drag, John. Hopefully you are just out some wiring and paint.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 18:28:44 -0500, "jjs" scribbled this interesting note:

John,

I go to a lot of car related swap meets. Bradleys turn up from time to time. Let me know what easy to spot specifics on the body to look for and if I see one I'll get you in touch with the seller (hint: on the spot would be best...)

I say all this because it sounds like you'll need some donor parts!:~(

John Willis

So sorry it happened to you. - Dave

Reply to
Busahaulic

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:40:44 -0600, "John Connolly" ran around screaming and yelling:

John....i have these fittings and hose(actually purchased from you), would it affect anything to clamp them "just in case"?...they appear to be somewhat like regular barbed fittings so i can't see where it would hurt, but respect your opinion on this... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani