Help! throttle cable...

The cable runs thru a steel conduit tube until it reaches the rear of the car. It then transfers to a length of flexible tube to reach up to the engine. Usually the cable gets stuck at that transition. I found it is easier to separate the flex from the conduit (pulls off), feed the cable out of the conduit and then slip the flex over the cable.

On the upright engine fan housing, the flex connects to a short length of steel tube again to go thru the fan housing.

If you have to bolt the cable end, use Loctite or something so it doesn't come apart...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Hi all!

I need some help with my RHD '71 Type 2... I've trying to change the throttle (accelerator) cable, but I've got stuck, and Muir/Haynes/Bentley ain't helping me...

Taken front pan off. unhooked old cable removed old cable fed new cable into tube, lubing it as i go

Sounds good so far... but it gets stuck with a handful of feet of cable left. It hasn't emerged from anywhere!

First question... is there a simpler way of fitting this? have I gone completely wrong? I reckon it should have taken me 15-30 minutes tops.

Second Question... where is it supposed to go? I'm guessing by the description in Muir that it doesnt feed all the way from the front through the fan housing.

Third Question... does this even appear in the Bentley book? I couldn't find it, page number anybody?

Last question... the broken cable had a hook on the front end, the replacements I have available have either a eyelet, or a S shaped thingy. I was going to bolt the eyelet onto the lever, is that a bad plan? Or can I put the hook on the new cable?

Is this so simple I should just go hang myself now, cos I'm really confuzzled...

Thanks, Antony.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I'm thinking it must of escaped from the steel tube somewhere under the floorpan, unless I'm looking in the wrong place for the cable to come out? Where, in the middle? near the wheel?

I can see the tube through the fan housing, it just feeds through the fan housing, the firewall, and into void space under the bus.

If I can find where the steel conduit ends, its plain sailing!

Any pics?

Thanks again, Antony.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

Is it different because its a Bus?

Just a thought...

a.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

Having just spent the last couple of weeks trying to do the same. I suggset you uncouple the flexi tube from the metal conduit, at the point by the axel tubes, alongside the gearbox, before it goes upto the fanshroud. You can then pull the remainder through here, then hopefully feed it through to the engine & re attach. When you think of it, you are tring to feed 3.6m of flexible cable, now all greasy & sticking to sides of an old tube, uphill, past a ridge. of course it was going to snag !

as an aside, the PO on ours had made his own conduit from the middle to through the shroud, but was too long, so cables would reach ! It took me a week to realise this, so i sourced a fexi & shroud tube for this weekend just gone, & now its all working. Phew.

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

Thanks James!

The more I read on this the more I feel that I have a missing part... the flexi tube from where it emerges from the front of the fan to where it goes into the steel tube to the front? Estimated distance, 1m perhaps? not a short distance...

I hear what you are saying about the ridge, I just wish I could find where it was!

My plan is once i recover from the lurgy is to bodge it bad enough to be able to drive it the 4 mile to the garage that had it two weeks ago for a couple of grands worth of work.. my wallet is still hurtin'... damn highbeams aint working now either (the switch doesn't click)

Ultimately, does it matter so long as I can rig a lubed tense wire from the arm at the front to the carb without and abrasion or kinks? I can here a hundred thousand purists turning in their graves...

Peace, Antony x

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

You can do it, really you can. I got a replacement flexi hose & fan housing tube from a breakers in Doncaster, they posted it same day, last thursday, I got it Friday & fitted it Saturday. I now have a driveable bus. The ridge is either just the upward bit of the flexi, or where the flexi joins the fan tube. I undid the flexi from main conduit, fed cable from front until it stuck out here, then relayed it upwards until it appeared at the carb, then did up the join, careful not to kink the cable. Good luck.

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

...only if she's a nice girl...otherwise leave the rubber in place.

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

A big thank you to Jim and James, i FINALLY got the cable through the channel! You were right all along... It seems the trick is to pull of the rubber, and push n wiggle from the front...

Easy once I found the rubber. It was playing hide n seek with me.

HOWEVER.... :-(

I have a cable with a O eylet fastener, the broken one had a hook. I tried bolting it on, but theres no clearance for the nut/bolt . Any suggestions? I'm tempted to use a small keyring-type thing I have, but I have doubts. What would you do??

I have another cable, braided type (the one in there now is a single solid core, same as the bust one). It has a S shape thing, but I can't see how that could possibly fit without other parts. I think it's for a later model. Anyone here tell me the shape of the front connector on their 71 type 2? I would help a great deal.

TIA Antony x

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

oops did i really write that.... ;-)

still true though.

a.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

Good stuff. can't help with the cable end, though. My cable has the S shape, and the throttle lever has the hole where it threads though & magic-ly stays there ! Mine is a '73. Both cables i bought has the S shape.

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

You can bend the O cable end to the S shape, I've done it many times. Avoid sharp bends. Jan

Reply to
Jan

8-)

Jan

Reply to
Jan

I believe the S cable is for post-1971, and is a different length (not measured it though). Not sure if I can bend the O, its fairly sturdy looking, and right now I can't even imagine how I would turn an O into an S, but that might be because it's 11pm, I'm dosed up on Penicillin, Sudafed, and a couple of Brandys just for a good measure...

Avoid sharp bends? In the cable, ok. In my driving style, probably a good idea too. Is the little rubber boot thing on the cable terribly important, or does it do little?

Thanks for the help! Antony.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison