HOT COIL!

The other day I was working on my 74 super beetle and I inadvertently left the key in the on position. While putting the intake manifold back on I noticed that the coil was "way" hot. Is this a common occurrence or do I have something connected wrong? If not why does this happen?

Thanks

Reply to
buggrn 74

Yes, the coil will get warm when the key is left on without the engine running. With the points stuck in a closed position current will flow constantly through the coil. You may now have to replace your ignition points and condesor because they're likely burned up and won't last much longer if your engine even starts at all.

Reply to
Ryan Moore

Yes it's common. You shouldn't DO THAT. The coil will burn. This happens depending on what position the distributor points stop when the engine stops turning.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Can't see how the condenser would go bad. The points can melt, but the condenser does no work, there is no current through it and it wont heat up.=20

Reply to
Olli Lammi

If the engine happened to be stopped with the points closed, then current would flow thru the coil to ground all the time the key was on. In general, this won't hurt anything, but if the points were just barely touching then they would tend to burn. This can also be hard on the coil.

If the engine seems fine, then you've been lucky. Just remember not to do this again.

If I ever have to leave the key on for a long time I always pull the dist wire off of the coil. This breaks this circuit and prevents any problem.

-

Jim Adney

Right, there's no hazard to the condenser here at all.

-

Jim Adney

Coils have also been known to explode due to this very condition, however a quick reality check would give probabilites(sp?) better than winning the state Lotto this NOT happening. A lot of horror storys out there, whilst few personal experiences...

J.

Reply to
BergRace

I replace condensors when I replace points, Therefore IF the condensor went bad it won't ruin the new points.

Of course maybe I do have an advantage when my dad owns a Auto parts store.

Ignition parts are cheap, A tow home ain't.

IMO

Reply to
Ryan Moore

I've been working on aircooled VW for 35 years. I've never seen a bad Bosch condenser. I never replace them.

If I find a non Bosch condensor I DO replace them with Bosch.

-

Jim Adney

.....................I was trying to keep my Lambretta scooter running 35 years ago.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 23:50:01 -0500, "Tim Rogers" ran around screaming and yelling:

my dad was the father of one thirty five years ago....(i am the third of four...) J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani