12v motor converted to 6v

What is the easiest (read cheepest) way to convert a 1600 12v motor for use in a 6v car. This is a temp. conversion, while the original motor is being rebuilt. My son wants to keep the car as stock/original as possible.

Reply to
john luckey

See the 6V/12V Conversion article on my web site. Though your situation is a bit different, some of the "gotchas" still apply.

Swipe the 6V flywheel off the old engine to put on the 1600. And the coil. The carb is a problem. The idle cutoff needs to be held open (figure some mechanical method). The choke can simply be adjusted to the open position and live with it.

You will probably need the 6V pressure plate.

Charging system: Hmmmmmm You could swap all the

6V junk over but you'll have to remount the fan too. There could be dimensional issues here.

Or....keep the 12V gennie and hook up the 6V regulator to it. I haven't done that one yet, but it might just work. (nasty hack)

Or, if the demands aren't great, run without any charging system. Teach him how to push-start

To install the 1600 engine, remove the muffler first.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

john luckey kirjoitti:

Grind off some material from the bell housing to make room for the larger 12V flywheel. (search for details, only a little material from 3 spots need top be removed).

Replace coil with a 6V unit

Replace carb with a 6V unit (or just replace idle solenoid and replace or disable choke). You could possibly use the 6V carb off of the old engine.

Take the generator (and the gen stand, if the 1600 had an alternator) from the old engine to get 6V charging system up and running

MUST USE 67-only starter and corresponding starter bushing. (These have

6V windings, but 12V gear to match the 12V flywheel). Tough one to find sometimes. In most cases, a 6V flywheel won't mate right with a 12V crank.

OR you could convert the car to 12V.... use the engine as-is, and a regular 12V starter + bushing. Install a Voltage-Drop for the windshield wipers to drop the V to 6V. All that is left to convert after that is a handful of lightbulbs. And maybe another V-Drop for semaphore turn signals, if so equipped. The generator/alternator needs it's own voltage regulator, unless the 12V engine has an internally regulater alternator (my preference).

Jan

Reply to
Jan

  1. problem: mating surfaces. They don't usually mate, one being O-ringed and the other requiring a paper gasket. I think some years may fit.
  2. He needs the 6V flywheel during the rebuild process, for dynamic balancing and possible flywheel reconditioning. After that it could be yanked off and installed in the 1600, until it's time to set the end play on the rebuilt engine.

Use the 6V carb, with an adapter if the 12V was a 34-Pict. (different bolt spacing).

Or find a 6V idle solenoid.

Darn I forgot that from my reply. The later model 12V clutch throw-out bearing requires late model pressure plate. That may be a problem. Also size may be different, 180mm against 200mm.

6V fan won't mate with 12V fan backing plate, bolt spacing is different. But a 6V generator and fan assembly fits right into a 12V fan housing. Use Generator stand with generator, alternator stand with alternator. You may need to do some extra work to align the pulleys.

I doubt it would work.

I made a hand-crank-starter for my 6V 67, and drove with that for one summer :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan
12V engine in a 6V car Maybe using 2-6V batteries hooking them up in series only for the 12V generator. You will be adding a 6V battery to the other battery by hooking the pos side only to the alternator with internal regulator and the neg to the pos side of the current battery. I am even less sure that this will work with a generator and regulator.

PLEASE HAVE AN EXPERT DETERMINE IF IT CAN WORK AND IF IT IS SAFE! It might overcharge both batteries since that F terminal will only get 6V from your generator light wire.

just a thought since I used to run 24 volts (2-12V batteries with a series/parallel switch) to start a couple of kit cars with Corvair 6cyl engines.

later, dave (>

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I seem to remember enlarging the bell housing in more areas. :-o

I still have maybe two adapters to convert the smaller carb to fit the dual port intake manifold.

automatic (or semi-auto) starter does not need that bushing. my '67 Type 1 seemed to be the same as the later 12V starters. hmmm

OR JUST LET THE VEHICLE SIT UNTIL THAT ORIGINAL ENGINE IS READY TO GO!! :-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1