how to replace a body rocker

Does anybody know what is the best way to replace a complete body rocker on a '69 beetle? It is the only that has to be done on the car so I am looking for a good and fast way to do it without much mechanical work.

Greets and thanks, Davy

'55 oval '69 bug '67 SC

Reply to
Dave

Good, fast, and no work??

Pop-rivets and Bondo.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Jesus...Jim ......Rivets and bondo...AAARRRGGHHH. Bite your tongue. ;-) Tim

Reply to
Tim murphy

Started New Years celebration a little early, Jim?

Reply to
jjs

What I mean is ... Do I have to remove the body from the pan or is it possible to do it without that. The front well is damaged around the heater channel as well, but the rear of the beetle is OK. I just want to know if you can slide it in or you need to split the pan from the body. If that is the case, what are is the minimal mechanical work I will have to do (remove the steering colum?, remove the wires? ...) I am planning to use my MIG welder, pop rivets are not my style .

Thanks, Davy

"Dave" schreef in bericht news:q8ZAd.15573$ snipped-for-privacy@phobos.telenet-ops.be...

Reply to
Dave

It can be done without removing the body. It's actually more difficult. I speak from experience. You have to know exactly what and where to weld so you don't end up welding the pan to the chassis. Measure, measure and measure...especially the diagonals of the door opening.

Reply to
Mel P.

really Jim Pop rivets and bondo?!!! you forgot the fiberglass!!!

Seriously...

Just about everything you need to know ....with pics on how it's done is here: (or how I did it)

it is best, IMHO, if you do separate the body from the pan. BE SAFE! and have fun. any questions? If you do, there are a number here that have undertaken such a task.

**************************************************************** dragenwagen 1966 Type I - Daily Driver 1969 Type I - Undergoing heater channel replacement
"Old VW's Don't Leak Oil, They Mark Their Territory."****************************************************************

Reply to
dragenwagen

I recall a previous post about drinkin beer..........That right Lightspeed .............or should I say "Bud Light-speed" jim?

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Over the years I've used many rivots and body/pan repair sections with very good results.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Most of us have done some oddities in our past. I've used galvanized tin and a whole bunch of metal screws to patch a floor a couple of times.............got tired of getting a shower evrytime I drove through a puddle. Sealed it with roofing tar from home depot too..........worked well, till the car got totalled.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

LORD, CAN I GET AN "AMEN"!?!?!? ;-)

Reply to
Shaggie

MTV's pimp my ride has this as one of there lession plans....lol

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys