Howard Rose - What's MY LHD Bus Worth in UK?

Howard,

You're the only regular here I know that I can ask this question. My van has limited life in Singapore and must either be scrapped or exported at the expiration of it's current certificate period.

It's a 76 Kombi - not Westi but my own camping table/bed replacing centre seat. Stock roof. Very solid frame & door sills, some minor rust damage around wheel wells & behind front bumper. Needs a ood painting.

I'm just wondering if it's worth the shipping cost to sell it to someone in a country where they use left hand drive cars, or if there are still a lot of these left around. There's only 10 here, soon to be 9.

How about Australia - they drive on the "wrong" side of the road too, don't they

- hahahahaha?

Engine and mechanicals good - about 35,000 kms on 1600 engine w/ dual Kadrons - very good gas mileage.

- Tom

Reply to
Oldbie

limited life in

current certificate

Stock roof. Very

front bumper. Needs a

country where they use

There's only 10 here, soon

they - hahahahaha?

very good gas

Sorry - that's a RHD van, NOT LHD. For driving on the LHS of the road.

Reply to
Oldbie

I'm afraid I'm not too clued up about Van prices, but I'll try my best :-)

How come the van must be scrapped? It is becuase the COE has run out? Or is there some other strange law saying that it must be destroyed? If you want to try and save it, I know a VW enthuiast in Singapore that might be able to put you in touch with someone interested. I'll send him a mail if you want?!

To be honest, it's probabally not worth importing into the UK after taking the shipping costs into consideration unless it is something very clean and original. The fact that it's not pre '72 isn't good either (road tax exempt). Vans in the UK in similar condition (I'm assuming it's ok overall condition, maybe a little tatty?) go for around £2-2,500. I've emailed a couple of bus enthuiasts I know and see if they can put on a better evaluation. If it were a split screen, then they're worth their weight in gold!

Selling in Aus wouldn't be too sucessful - it's full of rust free, real cheap vans anyway!

Could you sell it in Malaysia? I know they're LHD, but I've heard of a lot of Singapore cars sold out there. I would suggest Hong Kong, which is also RHD, but you may have trouble finding a buyer!

Reply to
Howard Rose