I have following problems with my bus:

How's the compression? When you say the starter will not crank fast enough, it reminds me of when I had bad head cracks /dropped valve seat - when cold, the cracks were small and there was enough compression to start the engine. When hot, it had to be going pretty fast to bump start it. Same type of scenario I suppose for too-tight valve clearances - when cold, it's fine; when hot, valves not seating properly. Mine ran fine at higher speeds, wouldn't idle well when hot. I hope it's not the problem you're having, but if it isn't anything else... When you try starting it when hot, does it show signs of overly rich fuel mixture such as black smoke? If you don't pump the throttle pedal but hold it down to the floorboard steady and crank the engine over (allowing maximum air in) will it start that way? -Bah

Reply to
Busahaulic

Bus, 1973 bay window camper, initial problem was hard starting in the morning and unstable running. Purchased a brand new Brazilian 31pict carb, solved the cold start and runs smooth now. Timing is right. If you drive the bus for 100km, the bus will not restart when you stop the engine, starter will not crank fast enough. However, if you wait for 30 min, the bus starts fine. Heatlocking? I had my distributor rebushed and new points, rotor, cap and condenser installed. I cannot find a reason for it to do this, but be aware the african climate i am in is very hot. Suggestions?

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets