do i have to fill gasolin in the fuelpump before i start the engine?

Hey, I have change´d the coul in my fuelpump,(becorse of easter/holyday all closedup) the one of them was finish´d I can´t find any thing about danger on www. I do trust the people that say that: if no oxygen there is no fire, BUT? when I put my fuelpump in the tank, there are oxygen! do I have to fill the pumphouse/canister up with gasolin to ensure that I don´t get the "big bang"? (Like the Boing 747 flight 800) I also want to know , were to bye a pump, not the hole house for it, its to expensive for me. I just want to bye the eletric pump. I found out , that I can bye one from China, and some are selling Walbro on ebay. What di you preffere/ surgest? hope this can be understand, sorry my english Thank You for any response Regards J Joergen Denmark

Reply to
J Hansen

Hi J.

I used to work for a company that manufactured fuel pump parts for Delphi (GM) and Visteon/Ford. I asked their engineers the same question about air (oxygen) in the fuel pump. Some of them had not even thought about it before I asked.

Whatever the explanation, I guess it is not a problem, because you would certainly be hearing about it on the news if cars were exploding whenever a fuel pump were replaced.

I can't imagine being the first engineer to propose to management that "We ought to start building electric fuel pumps with the motor brushes and commutator actually in the fuel". I can't imagine a legal department ever taking that risk - no matter how many tests the engineers did to prove that it was impossible for it to explode.

What year and model of vehicle are you asking about for buying just the pump without the housing? I assume by "housing", you mean the sending unit?

I just read the shop manual for the LH cars (300M, Intrepid, Concorde, LHS) on replacing the fuel pump - it gives no precautions or procedures for ensuring it is filled with fuel before installing and powering up. Also, the parts listings do not indicate a listing for just the pump.

Be careful buying Chinese aftermarket stuff, and off of ebay in general.

Bill Putney

Hah! No. The brushes and brush holders are exactly what I designed and that we manufactured for the fuel pumps. Believe me - they are brush motors. Brushless motors are too expensive for a normal automotive fuel pump.

Bill Putney

They probably build these pumps with brushless motors.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Why don't they make sparks? Or is the motor in a sealed enclosure so it doesn't matter?

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Filling the tank with fuel makes it much safer. Fuel vapors displace so much air that it becomes unable to support combustion. I would recommend that you put some fuel in, but it does not have to be totally full to become safe.

Reply to
Joe

No - the brushes "live" in the fuel - are bathed in the fuel as it passes thru the pump.

Bill Putney