I Need Cheap Insurance For A '73 VW Beetle

Hi! I need some inexpensive insurance for my 1973 VW Beetle. I hardly drive it, except for about 4 miles to the grocery 3 or 4 times a week, and out on the highway once a month to warm it up and blow the carbon out. It doesn't make since to have to pay the full fee when she usually just sits on the driveway. I have had no tickets in over 10 years, and have had no accidents for over 28 years. Does anyone have any suggestions? Then again, maybe it is better to pay a little extra for better insurance. Any help at all is appreciated! Thanks!

Reply to
Sleepy Joe

Ben Boyle

I suggest Grundy. If it's garage-kept, & not driven for errands (work, groceries, etc.), you can get full coverage (at *your* stated value) for probably 1/4 what you pay for bare-minimum through the unconstitutional state-mandated insurance cartel protection scam. See my website Screwed By insurance (if it's still up - I'm out of hosting $$$ so it's subject to be off-line at *any* time).

~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

i second Grundy, i use them as well and my car is garaged since i only put maybe 1000 miles a year on my vw, i didn't figure it was worth paying the high price of state farm monthly..... i got my insurance for 100.00 a yr @ 10K replacement value..... i've never filed a claim so I can't comment on if they actually pay up or not,

good luck

Reply to
Skipnkuf

Being in the restoration/custom business for over 30 years, I've seen cases where they've paid claims on cars that were damaged (storm) or burned in a building. But personally I don't care about that so much, & don't even bother with collision. I like being able to drive my cars, & Grundy allows me to do that *legaly* for *alot* less than the insurance cartel charges for their protection money (& after all that's all it really is!). For 4 cars Grundy cost me $245 a year: state farm/progressive/allstate/whoever would be $2,000 for the *same* 4 cars, & that wouldn't even include comprehensive!!! Tell me THAT is NOT a ripoff!!! ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

Does Grundy insure daily drivers, or just restored cars kept as collector vehicles? They promote themselves as paying the Agreed Value but does the contract actually say they will only pay out the ACV (actual cash value)? I think Hagerty has a limit on the yearly mileage like 3000 miles or so.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Grundy only insures customs & clastics *not* used as a daily driver. They have to be stored indoors, & cannot be used for errands or work transportation. But..there is no mileage limit. They insure for agreed value, but I'm sure you can't claim a $5,000 car is worth $50,000 & expect them to pay it. They require photos, & in some cases a "youthful driver exclusion". You'll be required to list mods (such as engine changes) on your application. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

Thanks a lot, but I got some less expensive insurance with better coverage. My mom let me put my Beetle on with her other vehicles on her insurance. Instead of paying $204.98U.S. for 6 months with EMC, I just pay $109.00U.S. for Farmers Insurance.

Reply to
Sleepy Joe

Ah, okay, I figured as much.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

That's for *minimum* coverage liability. You can get the same or better liability coverage, plus comprehensive through Grundy (if you qualify) for less than half what you're paying. As I said before, I had *four* cars insured for $245 per *year*, at stated values of $3,500, $4,000, $8,000, & $25,000. Besides, check my website for stories on farmers!

Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

There is no mileage limit on Haggerty. However, there are restrictions on vehicle use. I believe that you may now be able to obtain riders to their policies to enable wider use parameters at an increased premium. Your best bet is to check out

and see the latest terms of use and then call their toll free number and discuss you actual usage requirements with them.

I have four collector vehicles currently insured with Haggerty and will soon add a fifth vehicle. No complaints with their insurance product or coverage: No claims yet either.

Tim

Reply to
The Guy