Idle jet on a 31pict/4

Hi Ramva,

I've been googling my way around to find any pics of a 31pict/4 I don't know where the Idle jet is located on my carb. The Bug is still running very bad and I think the carb is the culprit. On idle ánd when cruising the bug wants to die...

Please can anyone point me in the right direction? I believe the 34pict/3 is pretty simular but can't find that either..

TIA Roger

Reply to
bug '59

bug '59 escreveu:

On the right side of the carb. I should be e 55

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

bug '59 escreveu:

On the right side of the carb. I should be e 55

João

Thanks João,

Is that top or bottom, outside or inside. Sorry for the lame Questions but i really don't know. I did notice some jet's on the right side, two of them. Are these the ones? I did blew them through with compressed air last sunday... Tonight I'm gonna buy some (diff sizes) jet's and if the original isn't blocked or dirty or something I will change them and go on from that point

Thanks, Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Outside. But from there, fuel travels a circuitous path thru tiny borings in the carb casting. Finally, it winds up in 4 even tinier portings, just above the throttle plate. It is these ports which frequently clog with specs of "stuff" you couldn't see by eye.

To get to them you have to take the throttle plate out and apply 100 psi air. Even then, the "stuff" may just get blown about inside, to haunt you another day.

BTDT

A soaking in a powerful carb cleaner before blowing *may* help.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Tried getting a picture to you directly to the group and by emailing you to no avail. go to www. le.ac.uk/eg/pdw/carb/carb.htm and there will be a picture of the 1302 carb I scanned from my Haynes manual. I'll have to take the page down in a week or so.

Paul W.

Reply to
Paul Williams

Jim, i'm convinced that all this time on VZi is getting your lingo to our way of working... :)

Reply to
Juper Wort

HaHaHaHa !!!!!!!!

Been working at it. For studying up, I watch all the BritComs we get over here :-)

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

thanks - I'd guessed that but confirmation is appreciated. I don't blame people for having an email address that can't be replied to either!

Paul W.

Reply to
Paul Williams

ooo, whadayaget ?

Reply to
Juper Wort

Hmmm

Loads of old re-runs.

Presently: As Time Goes By Keeping Up Appearances Are You Being Served? Last of the Summer Wine The Brittas Empire Keeping Mum

Timeless treasures all...

Reply to
Speedy Jim

so thats where they went....

Reply to
Juper Wort

These are the holes for the progression cirquit, right? If so, should it not read "below the throttle plate"? Or is my memory incorrect? Anyways, it was not to be picky, just hard to spot for a novice if he/she was to look in the wrong place..

J.

Reply to
Berg

Yes, progression circuit. The ports are above the plate. Throttle closed, there is no flow from the ports. As the throttle begins to open, first one (very small) port is now "below" the plate and so has vacuum pulling fuel from the pilot jet.

As throttle plate opens (moves "up"), more ports are exposed.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Yes, exactly. When you said above I thought as in roof, whilst they are on the floor(If the carb was horizontal.. Which of cause it is not.. My bad, thinking of horizontal here, as in all the carbs I deal with at work...

J.

Reply to
Berg

Thanks for all the response guy's. That evening I went to the shop to buy me some jets... Unfortunately he didn't have had any but i went up reading a book about the carbies. I have a 31PICT-4 which is, to what I read, pretty unusual. The difference (there might be a lot more) is the acc pump ánd on a 31PICT-4 there is suposed to be some kind of thermo device mounted with a bracked on top of the carb pusshing the trottle lever open (like the shoke does) without actually moving the shoke. This device is non electrical and is suposed to work on temps below 15 C. I hope I do make some sense..

Since I'm not able to trace the device down, I've got myself a 31PICT-3. Smaller pump and without a big brass bold into the reservoir. Is this the only difference? Before I change it, I still do want to clean the original up, having had advice here on how to do it. And where to look! Thanks all for your input, it is VERY helpfull

Roger

Reply to
bug '59