Inconsistent idle

Steve, I think it's time to really find out where your TDC is. The PO's scratch markings on the rim are not to be trusted.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

I agree. So use the pencil in the cylinder trick and make certain right?

Steve, I think it's time to really find out where your TDC is. The PO's scratch markings on the rim are not to be trusted.

Reply to
Steve Gift

I don't think so. IMHO, I think you have too much fuel pressure given your symptoms. Try measuring it. For a PICT carb, fuel pressure should be around 5psi. Anything above that, you might be getting too high a float level as it squirts past the needle valve.

IIRC, the mechanical pumps can be adjusted by placing more gaskets to raise the height if you need less pressure and the inverse to get more pressure. If pressure is all over the map (thus your tune is too), go to an electric pump like this one:

(#3188) I like that one, it's quiet.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

That is one easy way. Turn clockwise until the pencil stops rising. Mark that spot. Then turn the pulley over the TDC and turn engine counter clockwise and mark the spot where pencil stops rising again. The TDC is in the middle of those 2 spots.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Ok, I confirmed that I have two tick marks, one for 7.5dbtdc and 10dbtdc. I had it set at 10btdc static, previously. I'm almost certain I should be at

10dbtdc. I'm not totally sure though because the numbers on the engine are confusing me a little. The number on the alternator stand is: D 182 993X. The number on the crankcase is: 17 VW 111 101 102 C. Can someone put a year on that? The dizzy I have is an Bosch 010. I should be at 10 dbtdc correct?

That is one easy way. Turn clockwise until the pencil stops rising. Mark that spot. Then turn the pulley over the TDC and turn engine counter clockwise and mark the spot where pencil stops rising again. The TDC is in the middle of those 2 spots.

Reply to
Steve Gift

"Steve Gift" wrote

Your timing depends on the distributor that you're using, not the engine. Was the 010 stock? The smart guys here will have to tell you if I'm correct but I *think* that the 010 needs to be timed at the maximum advance and you let the idle advance fall where it may. I don't know what that max advance setting should be, but some Googleing in the archives should turn something up if someone here doesn't post the information first.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

I've read once or twice that it has to be timed at max advance, although on oldvolkshome.com they say the 010 should be timed 10btdc static. So, I guess I'll keep the timing there. I put it at 7.5 later last night and it was very sluggish. Wasn't missing or anything, just felt like I was pulling a trailer. That's the other thing I wanted to confirm, was that you timed the dizzy, independent of the motor. Guess I'll be buying a timing light here soon.

Reply to
Steve Gift