Info on the type 3 Squareback

Hi Ramva! Well, it seems like the guy with the ACVW cementery on his country house also has a type 3 squareback in good shape. He showed me pictures of the thing as it was about 8 months ago and it looks restorable. Although 8 months in the open country with the amount of rain here can mean just a bunch of rust is left.

On saturday I'll go and check it out. In the meantime, I'd like to learn as much as I can about the squareback. Where can I get some info? that pancake engine is a type 4, right?

TIA, Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Nope, it's a type 3. Most internal parts are the same as a type 1.

Very nice cars. There's a free type 3 email list that you can sign up for at

-

Jim Adney

A couple of the greatest rigs I've owned have been squarebacks. They're just all around neat cars. Check it for rust and damage in the same places you would a bug. Their brake calipers like to freeze up if they've sat for a while, and can be a bear to get loose. If it's fuel injected, make sure all the contacts and connections--especially the numerous ground connections--are clean and tight. A lot of fuel injection 'problems' turn out to be a bad ground. The type III engine is basically a type I engine with a different fan and cooling shroud setup. If you can get it to turn over, it'll probably run.

Aw, man. Now you've got me all nostalgic, wanting another Squareback. :-)

Cheers, Walt

Reply to
WJ

According to the guy. It runs and moves. it has front disc brakes and read drums. It's carburated, so no problems with the FI. However, he sais he converted it to a single centermount carb (built a "box" to house it) so, I have some cutting and welding to do.

Another thing, do my dual IDF's fit there? or do I need a shorter manifold or air cleaner?

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

I hate it when people do that. The first time I saw one I couldn't believe it. Here's this bloody sheetmetal box sticking up out of the engine cover. Dangit, one of the nice things about the squareback is how much gear you can cram in one....

Oh well. Just a pet peeve.

Not sure, but I'd bet no, at least not without the shorty manifold and cleaner. The stock dual carb setup on the SB was very low profile, and had a flattened out air cleaner.

Cheers, Walt

Reply to
WJ

ok, as long as I can find the required parts, I'm ok.

I'm also going to need all the light lenses and some exterior trim lines. BTW, please don't call them SB's, I confuse it with "Super beetle"

I'll post again after I come back from the country house tomorrow. Then I'll have a better impression on the state of the cars.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

This was a carb kit sold to replace the FI. It's likely the worst carb setup you'll ever come across, even without considering the fact that it ruins the cargo area. They all run extremely rich and wear down the cylinder walls. I suppose they could be jetted right and made to work well, but no one has done that that I know of.

You're much better off finding a nice pair of OE type 3 Solex's.

-

Jim Adney