install turbo

And secondly, My input into this group would be of no value other than trying to find someone who is willing to write a documentary style journal on this topic. I am at level 1 of engine building currently. I don't know the complete science behind turbo engines. Unfortunately, news group style posting are never a beginner's first stop for this type of information. You have to be seasoned to relate to this question and answering style of exchange and also have the ability to weed out egos.

If you are saying piss off spammer because you are really hiding you lack of desire for other in the community to know what you know, so that you can charge them an arm and leg for service, then just say so. I believe the Internet was build on the idea of sharing information and sharing information sometimes in a free fashion. When was the last time your receive a bill for running your traffic across the UUNET or SPRINT backbone? Never! How much did Linux charge you to write your post on this Server that you think belongs to soley you? Nothing. Did FireFox cost you a pretty penny to use to view what I wrote as a response? I am sure not.

If you have nothing to say nicely about my comment, just move onward and ignore it. But you can't stop me from trying to find anyone willing to share knowledge freely. I am an Open Source programmer who continuously give to the Internet Community and I happen to feel that way about VW's as well. I am looking after the growth of the Vintage Volkswagen Community and some day you will understand where I am coming from. I am not spam, because my input is about making things better. I make no money nor charge for anything I am suggesting. As a matter of fact, I pay out of my pocket to spread the love because I have the money to do so.

-phybertek ant> "you should blog about it". is this going to be your reply to all posts > in this group?

Reply to
phybertek

Ok, so here is my question. Do you guys specialize in type 1 turbo building or do you across all air-cooled engines. I am building a T4 engine converted for T1. But before I spend money on parts, what are some of the things I should take into consideration when building at turbo configuration. Are turbo engines low in compression? Should I attempt stroker engine or not?

I know this question might be basic, but this is my starting point. My original design was 2270cc (96mm, 78.4mm crank, webcam with a mild lift

- split duration etc). Could someone recommend good reading?

What is your opinion on use a T4 (Porsche 914) engine as a base for building?

-Phybertek

Reply to
phybertek

hehe..newbie....that email will never reach me....but the regulars and old timers know my address....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Ok, so here is my question. Do you guys specialize in type 1 turbo building or do you across all air-cooled engines. I am building a T4 engine converted for T1. But before I spend money on parts, what are some of the things I should take into consideration when building at turbo configuration. Are turbo engines low in compression? Should I attempt stroker engine or not?

I know this question might be basic, but this is my starting point. My original design was 2270cc (96mm, 78.4mm crank, webcam with a mild lift

- split duration etc). Could someone recommend good reading on turbos and T4.

What is your opinion on use a T4 (Porsche 914) engine as a base for building?

-Phybertek

Reply to
phybertek

depends on your intended use and what you want from the engine...i prefer mild boost and higher static compression...the higher static compression is my preference so you have a better running and more efficient engine when

*not* on boost...

again, depends on what you want...

the type 4 engine is a great engine.....have read many positive reports on turbo installations on type 4's...no personal experience though....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Sorry for the delete and re-add.

Well, I want to use the engine on the track (1/4 mile), but smooth enough to turn heads when I head when out of NYC and on the Jersey Turnpike. I was told there was a forum for building type 4 turbos, but I have yet to find it. Do you remember where you read these reports.

Please forgive me for the wrong foot I started on. I truely wanted to see what was envolved in away I could ask a lot of questions while someone was in the process of building. I just finish building my first 2.0L T4 engine and I'm already thinking about the next one (turbo), but had no clue where to begin.

Respect due.

-Phybertek

Joey Tribiani wrote:

Reply to
phybertek

Scroll down to the "Forced Induction" forum, all what you need..

J.

Reply to
Berg

well Anton, if you need a tutorial on how to use your newsreader's killfile, let me know....i'm used to speaking slowly...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

not a dedicatded to type4 turbo engines, but a forum for forced induction is located at

. they also have a type 4 forum, where you can find a few ongoing threads on turbo'd type 4's.

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

well now i'm hurt.....you all act like i'm a bad person or something.....i'd cry, if i actually gave a shit....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

phybertek kirjoitti:

Everything aircooled VW. Not just engines either, but the whole car, lifestyle, and cult of ACVW.

I have done it, I chose the DIY method (Joe Cali conversion, look it up if you like. He is one of us here, although he rarely writes anymore)

One of the best resources for information on that is at the type4rum board at

and once there, you cannot avoid seeing posts written by Jake Raby, of Raby's Aircooled Technology. (also one of our own who doesn't have time to hang out here much anymore). That is where the best T4 information and experience is today, no doubt. He recently closed his own forum there but it is still accessible for those who want to read the old archives. (I highly recommend it). Jake started his own discussion forum hosted on his own servers, since he is running a business and the shoptalkforums site is non-commercial. (All in very good understanding and spirit, more like a natural transition)

As joey said, it depends on what you want from the engine. Everyday driveability is better with higher compression ratio and lower boost, but maximum power requires more boost which in turn means lower CR must be used.

A T4 engine is a bit more challenging when building a turbo engine, because of the wider head stud spacing. It is harder to achieve a good seal, and it gets worse with higher CR, bigger cylinders, or boost. Also there is less experience out there to learn from, compared to T1 turbos. But it has been done, and there are ways to overcome the head leak issues. I'm sure jake will tell you all you need to know. Start by looking up fifth and sixth studding. I am by no means an expert in turboing a T4, mine was normally aspirated. My turbo experience is limited to T1 and watercooled riceburners.

As I already mentioned, shoptalkforums. They also have a forum dedicated for forced induction.

For maximum power output, go with Type 1. (Racing, weekend warrior). For massive torque, displacement, and longevity, go with T4. (Big strong daily drivers)

The T4 is significantly more expensive to build, although the parts prices have come down a bit in recent years, due to increasing demand. What is perhaps more crucial is knowledge. There's more of it available for the T1.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Joey Tribiani kirjoitti:

...see what I mean :)

No, you are not a bad person. You just don't take shit from people and there's nothing wrong with that.

you big poopy-head!

:D

Jan

Reply to
Jan

if'n you're gonna hug me like that, please remove your hand from my butt!! thank you....that is all....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I don't act like you are a bad person. I do admit that I might have issues ellaborating myself. I guess my communication skills are at the level of 5 year old compared to Jan. I hope to get better and don't make wrong people cry in the process.

cheers, anton

Joey Tribiani wrote:

Reply to
anton