71 Auto Stick Igniation/Starter problems

Now my 71 Super Beetle Auto-stick will not start. I ahev diagnosed it as a hard start problem. My mechanic wired a button for me to start the car. Before it would start about half the time and now it will not start. It tried a couple of times but I didn't apply enough gas to keep it going.

I googled and found the solution to test the starter. I took a screwdriver and the starter turned over. Is it suppost to start the motor? All I could get it to do was turn the starter over. I've orderd a Hard Start Relay from Mid -America Motor Sports. But how can I start tyhe car now before it gets here?

Thanks for all the advise. I am slowly learning more and more.

Thanks Steven

Reply to
Noice87

Yes, it will start the car....IF the Ignition is ON. But if the Ignition switch is knackered, you may have to jumper +12V to the Coil (+) terminal.

Try it with the key ON first.

Make SURE the shift is in NEUTRAL!

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

might as well....most vw's are hacked all to shit by those that don't know how to properly fix them....have at it...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Which is the positive? The wire going to the Ignnition Switch.

Thanks Steven

Reply to
Noice87

Your ignition switch wiring looks something like:

In the engine bay, looks like:
Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

So I take a long enough wire and wwire to the + on the coil that being the wire that goes to the Igniation and then touch the other end of the wire to the + on the battery?

Reply to
Noice87

yes

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Treid the wire and nothing. So I tried the screwdriver again and on the second time it fired right up. Drove it in the back yard once and then under the carport so I can do some painting on it.

Soon I will take it back to my mechanic and have him re-do the igniation so it works all the time.

Where is the best place to get a blank VW key? I need to make a second copy of mine incase I loose the only one I have.

THanks for the Help.

Reply to
Noice87

Just bring the key to any hardware or lock place that cuts keys and chances are they will have the correct blank.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I think the only place we have check is Wal-Mart and they didn't have it.

Thanks Steventhe correct blank.

Reply to
Noice87