Is My Starter Going Out, Or What?

This evening, I went out to start our 1967 Bug, turned the ignition, and just hear a click. Checked the battery and it was almost fully charged.

I then opened up the engine compartment and turned the enging over slightly just by pulling on the generator belt. Went back up front, turned the ignition and the engine started right up.

Is this a sign that my starter is strating to go out? Thanks in advance.

Bob Krzewinski

Reply to
Wolverbob

Possibly a worn starter bushing allowing the starter teeth to jam in the flywheel.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Or the starter mounting bolts could be loose, especially the one that's also one of the engine mounting bolts. If it's loose the starter armature will twist and bind.

Reply to
Mike64Bug