Does this sound like a starter motor?

SAAB 9000 CDE

I've had this car a few weeks now, always started properly, though prahaps not quickly, until that is I wanted to show it to a mate.

I had left the door open so I could listen to the radio whilst working nearby, so the courtesy lights had been on.

Went to start the engine, but just a click/clunk heard from nearside inside engine compartment. This happened several times, so I guessed the battery was low and got a car in to jump start. having connected the cables and with the other car revving slightly, got the same click/clunk several times, then the car burst into life.

Went for a drive to recharge the battery and parked up when I got back home.

LAter - went out to the car and the same thing happened. Click/clunk for a few times then starts.

I changed the battery to one which is only about a year old, went for a drive to fully charge the battery, but still the same thing.

Battery voltage is around 12 when engine not running and 13.8+ with engine running.

Seems to me like it could be the starter on the way out. Does this make any sense?

What else should I be looking for? How can I rule in or out the starter?

Am carrying a mallet to give the starter a thump should it fail to start (that's if I can actually find it).

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mr Mike Nospam

Starter yes- probably a dead stop on the commutator caused by wear / dirt / worn out brushes...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Check the battery voltage while operating the starter. If it clicks, and the battery volts drop very low - say 9 volts or below - have the battery tested. If it's ok, then the starter is probably faulty.

If the battery volts remain high - say about 11 or so - but the starter doesn't operate, check the starter wiring and earth.

Easiest way to check this wiring is to measure the voltage drop across it. This should be less than 0.5 volts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Could easily be a poor connection to the starter. You've probably eliminated the battery terminal connection as a possible problem by changing the battery but either the negative battery lead is making a poor earth or the positive battery lead is making a poor connection to the solenoid terminal. Both these should be checked. It might even be the solenoid itself not switching properly.

If all these are OK then it looks like the starter.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

Thanks for the suggestion, guys. A few things to check on before splashing out on a new starter.

Much appreciated.

Mike

Reply to
Mr Mike Nospam