Is this a 1970 Super Beetle Convertible?

While looking for some good 1970 Beetle pictures on ebay, I came across this.

Is this the rare 1970 1/2 Super Beetle?

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

The tops of the McPherson strut towers are clearly visible in the pix of the trunk area and the spare is laying flat rather than standing up. Yeppers, it's a supper.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

Well, it's a Volks...Wagon, so it must be rare.

He didn't put the VIN in the listing, so you have to take his word that it's a '70 model. Hmmmmmmmmm

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I do seem to remember that the Super Beetles possibly came out in 1970 1/2 so maybe the VIN will indicate that. Trying to get this confirmed or not.

OR maybe someone has changed the title and VIN on this VW. hmmmmmmmmmmm is right!

later, dave (One out of many daves)

dave AKA vwdoc1

If the door tag says its a 6/70 then it would be concidered a 71 All vehicles are done that way. but thats a super beetle and I'm sure is a

  1. Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys

71 model year was the first of the supers....8/70 was the begining... it is a 71 judging by the steering wheel and windshield wiper switch in the dash.... my first vw years ago was a 71 super very early production in 8/70.... unfortunately at the age of these cars and cars sold across state lines, it is possible that it has been legally titled as a 70 model due to production date, not model year....
Reply to
Joey Tribiani

just noticed in the description area the seller states it is a 71.....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Beware. Look at all the overspray and rusted floor. I'd give it a few months before the paint caves into the rust.

Reply to
JJ

Oh you are the man Joey! I just noticed it too when you told me it was there. So it might have been manufactured in 1970 but sold as a 1971. Now that makes some sense to me. ;-) thanks all, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

i can't recall the year that the "model" year went from end of year to august 1st. from that point on the new model year started on the production date of august first(of prior year)

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Well, I do! HaHa

The '55 model year went from Jan 1955 thru July 1955.

Aug 1955 began the '56 models.

This was in conformity with the major players in the auto market.

Speedy Jim

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!" Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

LOL...you are always a safe bet, Speedy....thanks for the information....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani