Is this Possible or worth while.....

I recently picked up a 68 and 68 Automatic Bugs. The 68 I am restoring but the 69 has lots of rust and body damage. I have a chance to get a

66 with no motor (Probably Manual Trans). Body is pretty good. Is it worth it to get if I can get it cheap and then swap the motor and auto trans over?

Thanks Steven

Reply to
Noice87

On 5 Apr 2005 09:24:10 -0700, "Noice87" scribbled this interesting note:

Steven,

What you would want to do is remove the engine from the '68 and strip off all the autostick parts. Put them in a box and sell them on eBay. Rebuild the engine you just pulled. I don't know what may be wrong with it, but I'm certain it has issues. After rebuilding that engine, take your new purchase and remove the body and install new pans and perform all other work it may require. Install your now good engine. Then I would sell either this car or the '69 and use all proceeds to finish the other remaining car to higher standards.

It really isn't worthwhile to retrofit a non autostick car with autostick parts. Besides, that '66 does not have the correct transaxle for that kind of conversion and to make a double jointed swing axle fit into an earlier car...let's just say that is a lot of effort you could better spend elsewhere.

Good luck!

John Willis

Will the 66 Body fit on the 69 Chassis? Thanks for the advise. Not sure if the project 66 has a transmision or not. I picked it up for 31 dollars so I can't complain. Hopefully going to pick it up next week.

Thanks Steven

Reply to
Noice87

sure if the project 66 has a transmision or not. I picked it up for 31 dollars so I can't complain. Hopefully going to pick it up next week.

************ Body will fit, but I think you'll have to move the rear mounts (behind the tires). Lots of documentation on that on the web - do a search. Might be better off to just put the engine in the '66, if it has a transaxle. HTH, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

Easy on the Giggle Cream!

Reply to
ThaDriver

I am purchasing a beetle this weekend that is a '69 irs pan with a '66 body... If that helps. I talked to the guy that did the pan conversion and he said it was for a smoother irs ride....

Reply to
LC

I don't know about smoother, but at least the IRS rear is *much* less likely to do a rollover. So, it's a good choice.

I can't recall; did this thread already discuss the possible titling problems of a mis-matched body/pan? The car will have 2 VINs. If not, you may want to look into it.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

titling problems of a mis-matched body/pan? The car will have 2 VINs. If not, you may want to look into it.

********** Seems to me you could take your pick. Use the '66 from the pan & remove the dash number; or use the dash number & title it as a '69 (or whatever). Always a good idea to check your state laws first, though. :-) ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

Easy on the Giggle Cream!

Reply to
ThaDriver