What is water/air cooled newsgroups?

These newsgroups seem bigger than rec.autos.vw but what exactly is watercooled/aircooled VW?

Thanks.

Reply to
Zeitgeist

How was that again?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
Randolph

Well, way back before you were born, VW made a few funny little cars that didn't have radiators (!). There never were very many of them, and they weren't too popular (odd-looking little rides, and the one they made the most of was named after an insect). Anyway, there were a few people who seemed to like them, and so the aircooled group exists. To know whether your comments belong here or in the watercooled group, go out and pop the hood of your car, and see if it has a radiator. If so, the watercooled group is the place for you. If you look under the hood and there is (a) no radiator, or (b) no engine at all, chances are excellent that you're one of the small handful of people that know that VW made cars prior to the Rabbit, and that the aircooled group is the right place to be posting.

HTH Walt

Reply to
WJ

Well, I don't have a Volkswagen anymore after my Passat accident... see earlier post...

Hopefully, if I work hard enough this summer I can trade in my jeep + $$$ and get a Diesel Jetta or something similar... Though I'm not a fan of 4-door cars because I hate lugging my friends around which the Jeep is made for. =[

watercooled

Reply to
Zeitgeist

Run it through a humor filter.

Cheers Walt

Reply to
WJ

No need to capitolize the V and W! Volkswagen.

Reply to
Anthony

LOL

More aircooled Beetles were built (until 2002) than ANY other VW model.. Or ANY other car in general. The Toyota Corolla shows some impressive production numbers, but a 1968 Corolla has nothing in common with a 2004 Corolla.. while the Beetle, in comparison, stayed virtually unchanged through decades.. 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and well into the new millenium.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Yeah, I know. Was it that hard to tell that I was being cute?

I'm trying to think of any car that even comes close to the bug. The MGB was essentially the same car from the late 50s through 1980. That seems impressive until you consider that it's less than half as long as the Beetle (so far), and the number of cars built aren't remotely comparable. It was a treat to be on vacation in Mexico a few years back and see brand new Beetles in a dealership. Wish I could have brought one home.

Walt

Reply to
WJ

Reply to
Randolph

The Citroën 2CV had a good run. First shown in 1948 and produced until

1990 (or so). Very recognizable, just like the Beetle is.

WJ wrote:

Reply to
Randolph

On Thu, 13 May 2004 22:24:05 -0700, "WJ" ran around screaming and yelling:

i thought the post was excellent....i giggled a bit..apparently some missed it?

up until July of 2003 you could see them new...unfortunately they ended production last July JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Fri, 14 May 2004 06:37:04 GMT, Randolph ran around screaming and yelling:

i'd say here in the US the next most recognizable vehicle, although it did go through more changes than the VW bug, was the jeep...started as a war vehicle and the ones still produced today(wrangler) still look strikingly similar to those of old.. JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

rec.autos.vw is no longer a real valid group. RAMVW and RAMVA are now the official VW newsgroups.

Reply to
Peter Parker

On Thu, 13 May 2004 22:24:05 -0700, "WJ" scribbled this interesting note:

The Model T Ford. It was in production for almost 20 years and almost

15 million were made.

John Willis

Argh! Damn spelling bites me in the ass again...

Reply to
Anthony

20+ years aren't that much. Even 30+ years are not *that* uncommon:

Land Rover (lately called Defender), 1948-today. Citroen 2CV, 1948-1990. VW Type 2 T2 ("Baywindow"), 1967-today. Citroen HY, 1950-1980 or so. Morgan. Austin/Carbodies FX "London" taxi cab. Checker taxi cab. Jeep. Mini, even: 1959-2002 is nothing to sneer at. Lada, if you count their Fiat predecessors in with them. Renault 12 and Dacia combined are in it as well, I believe. Even the Citroen ID/DS lasted almost 30 years, and so did the VW Type 2 T1 ("Microbus") if you count the ones from Brasilia, -1975.

But the Bug's 65 years (if you count the first ones in final shape of

1938) are, have always been, and will always be unparalleled. I don't think the Defender will last another nine years, and the Morgan is too much of a collector's car to really qualify.

So how about numbers? Forget the Golf, Corolla, and whatever contenders their makers may holler about. If *they* qualify, you can count in the Porsche 911 with the Bugs, too. ;-) Seen like that, I expect the Ford Model T is still second, at 15 million. But what's third? Probably some American pickup truck or something, they don't seem to change so much as passenger cars do and are being bought in really rather striking numbers. Or maybe the Opel Kadett C/Vauxhall Chevette, which was built all around the world under almost every GM brand name for more than a decade.

[Removed ramvw from groups list. They don't care about old cars, almost by definition. :-]

Airhowlingly yours, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

On Fri, 14 May 2004 19:34:23 +0200, Erik Meltzer scribbled this interesting note:

From 1973 through 1987 the Chevrolet/GMC trucks were essentially unchanged. They turned out a bunch of 'em, but I have no idea how many.

John Willis

The MGB did not start production until 1962. Before were the MGA's from 1955 to 1962.

"We are the Pilgrims; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow Across that angry or that glimmering sea....."

Special Air Service Memorial to the Dead Taken from "The Golden Journey to Samarkand" by J. E. Flecker

Reply to
John A. Stovall

On Fri, 14 May 2004 14:05:39 -0500, John Willis ran around screaming and yelling:

im not sure either but they were some of the best trucks ever...but im partial to em... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani