there,

you

(Don't

I'm doing.

LPS1

it?

Reply to
Busahaulic

Next time the Wonderbus acts up I'll be standing by with my voltmeter in one hand, wiring diagram in the other, and while the lovely Inge turns the ignition to "start, damn it, start," I'll find out where the voltage ain't.

It's such a clear-cut go/no go that a fuzzy connection seems unlikely. But I have been wrong before.

Sign me,

Approaching this with great curiosity.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Hah. It acted up again. Went dark. No voltage at fuse block. None at + terminal on generator. Huh -- that's funny . . . dead battery? Probed battery terminals -- hello, what's that spark?

For crying out loud . . . this whole time the stupid connection to the battery's + terminal has been loose. What a maroon, I should-a checked that at the get-go. Sheesh.

Wires coming from terminal look pretty shaky, too. Newbie question: would I expect to be able to pick up appropriate terminals, wire and lugs at my local auto shop? Just to rebuilt the + wiring from the battery?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

block. None at +

battery? Probed

connection to the

should-a checked

question:

terminals, wire and

from the battery?

Reply to
Busahaulic

I don't know about the 72 type 2, but on a 70 type 1, the ignition switch is independent from the key, costs about $35 US, and can be changed in under an hour. I changed mine, because the wire had burned up (for the PO). That's part of the reason I have the breaker installed.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

Maroon is when your pirate buddies leave you on a deserted island with Gilligan. Moron is when you miss the obvious fireworks ;)

Yep, or do the whole harness.

type2.com has lots of good bus advice. When you use the crimp on terminals, tin the wire first. Use a soldering iron stuck in the crimp hole to heat the plastic. Yank that off with plyers, when it gets hot. Slip on some small heat shrink (on the wire ANT, not the wanker), to cover the crimp, and a larger piece to cover the spade lug, and small heat shrink. Crimp the connector, solder the connector to wire joint. Don't move the wire until the solder has become solid (becomes a little dull looking), or you'll have a fractured joint (really dull looking). When cool, slide the small heat shrink over the crimp, and shrink that. When cool again, slide the large heat shrink up to the end of the connector, and shrink that. Providing these are not screw type connectors. The red wire on my bug is ten gauge, and the yellow connectors are ten gauge.

If you're going to do the whole harness, or lots of pieces, don't buy your wire and shrink at FLAPS or RadioShack. They may have pretty colors, but they're too expensive, and the flat black stuff is a better material. Go to an electronics supply house and buy your shrink by the three foot lengths, get a few, and get some different diameters.

Harbor Freight has a heat gun on sale for something like $10 US. Oop's that was last month, it's probably back to $14. It's a really good investment if you're going to do a lot of wiring. Soldering irons just don't do a good job, and matches cause ugly scorching.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

Oop's is when something is the property of Alley Oop. Oops is what you say when you miss the obvious fireworks ;)

Reply to
mez

Hey. Don't go correcting Bugs Bunny.

Gilligan would be a minor annoyance as long as Ginger was there.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

anyone know what "Gilligan's" first name was?

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

Hah. Red herring. He didn't have one. See

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Point number one: I actually watched that Gilligan's Island thing on TV last year and I seem to recall that Shwartz repeated his Willie claim, although I suppose there is a slight chance that the folk behind the Snopes website know more about what was in his mind at the time than he himself does - calling the first mate by his last name would seem more in keeping with the character than calling him by his first.

However, I still hold that his first name was obviously Maynard. He was Maynard Gilligan Krebbs, Dobie Gillis' pal. If you've ever seen an episode of The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis I can't see how you can not recognize him.

I also have to disagree with you about Ginger. Even with Mary Ann on that island, Ginger would still have been a royal pain in the patootie.

Reply to
mez

sherwood schwartz: "To this day, almost every time I see Bob Denver we still argue. He thinks Gilligan is his first name, and I think it's his last name. Because in the original presentation, it's Willy Gilligan. But he doesn't believe it, and he doesn't want to discuss it. He insists the name is Gilligan."

this above quote is a direct contradiction to what Bob Denver stated himself on an episode of "E! True Hollywood Story" that has run on the E! network.Bob himself did infact claim on camera that Gilligan's first name was "Willie" and added that it was only *on* the script and never in it...so i don't know...but i figure the horses mouth is usually better info than the "horses ass"(snopes?)

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

Of course! He was Maynard G. Krebbs. "G." -- not "Gilligan."

I watched many an episode, and liked his character on Dobie Gillis much more than the dopey Gilligan.

A bit more upkeep, yes. But not boring, like Mary Ann.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

This could be true!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Go to this site,

It also tells theSkippers name and Mary Ann's last name etc...Bill Berckman Ramva 24 hour VW Chat New Years Eve.
VW/Porsche Family Reunion Show 2003 Pictures

Bill Berckman

A second problem emerged today. Day before yesterday I had discovered that the PO or somebody had left the + battery terminal loose. After tightening, I though my starter troubles were over. Not so fast, young grasshopper! It didn't start yesterday. At all. Good panel lights, but no starter action. A little probing around under the car (all the time trying to get a peek up the delectable Inge's skirt without getting caught) revealed that the PO had installed a starter relay down there. Not the Bosch WR-1, but something similar. However, they did a crap job connecting the wires to the push-on terminals.

Relay has been replaced, with proper terminations. A new ignition switch is here waiting to be installed. I think that maybe *this* time the darn Wonderbus's starting problem has been fixed.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Did I say marooned with Ginger? That would only be marooned from Ginger's perspective. "Oh god, I was morooned on an island with an ACVW nerd named after a bug...."

Reply to
Michael Kelly

Not! Two women make problems, they fight over dominance. If there's only one woman, she can be the queen bee. And when she is the queen bee, she's happy. And if mammas happy, then everybody's happy. But if mamma ain't happy, then ain't nobody happy.

I'm using "there's" as a contraction of "there" and "is", which needs an aprostophe, and "she's" as a contraction of "she" and "is", which needs another aprostophe, the same as my use of "everybody's".

Reply to
Michael Kelly

Ginger had that whole glamour thing going, but Mary Ann was quite perky.

Where's San Francisco ANT on this subject.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

..................When they're with a manly man like myself, women are required to be happy whether they feel like it or not.

Reply to
Tim Rogers