Kid stops me to tell of his newly acquired '58

Was at an autoparts store with my '65 and a young guy asks me about my car... then tells me about his '58 (oval) that he found in a barn. Inside all rotted, , no rust, and it runs. A local garage that specializes in old Bugs help him get it going. He likes my car's dash board better... said he planned to chop the roof to make it a hot rod. He noted that some folks have criticized him for this, but, (to quote Shaggy) it's his car.

I was at least able to suggest some good parts places. Almost felt like suggesting that we swap cars (and he give me some $$), but mine is a daily driver and that would be a problem.

KWW

Reply to
KWW

Philistine

Reply to
Speedy Jim

58 is the first year of the "big window" beetles.
Reply to
Joey Tribiani

The barbarian's are at the gate. I recall an uncle twenty years ago having "words" with some teen ager who wanted to buy his fully restored Model "T" to "Turn it into a 'rod. A real strip cruiser."

True. But others don't have to be happy about it. Too bad he couldn't be put in touch with someone willing to trade for a more common version.

- Bill

Reply to
William J. Leary Jr.

Did ya tell him a '58 ain't a Oval?

Oh, I heard about that one. It was in the same barn with the like-new Harley Knucklehead and the Vincent Black Shadow once owned by an virgin Dallas Cheerleader.

I'll be right over with a fifth of Jack, case of beer and a Sawsall! He drinks it. I plug in the saw and leave.

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

"...and it runs..." OK, correction, it runs after a local vintage VW shop helped him get it going.

Reply to
KWW

Oh, I heard about that one. It was in the same barn with the like-new Harley Knucklehead and the Vincent Black Shadow once owned by an virgin Dallas

Cheerleader. '

....ahhh...The Black Shadow. Magnificant bike. Released in 1948 after the "Black Lightning" went 151mph on the flats with Rollie Free stripped to his swim trunks piloting her.. It used the 988cc 47 degree v twin..first seen in 1936 in the series A Rapide. The Black Lightnening was later sold as a special order race version of the Black shadow. Vincent held the fastest production bike record long after the companies demise with the Lightnenin....(and Rollie will always have a place in motorcycle history with the picture of him in his bathing suit that was taken fromn a speeding car....just think what a fit people would have today if you suggested discarding your saftey gear to gain an extra 10mph!!!) The lightnening was about 70pounds slimmer than the Shadow, and had various performance mods to ensure it was capable of reaching the 150mph mark. The lightning was legendary enough to inspire a song (which one of my friends sings in his band currently here in florida)

Said Red Molly to James, that's a fine motorbike A girl could feel special on any such like Said James to Red Molly, Well my hat's off to you It's a Vincent Black Lightning 1952 And I've seen you at the corners and cafes, it seems Red hair and black leather, my favourite colour scheme And he pulled her on behind And down to Boxhill they did ride

Said James to Red Molly, here's a ring for your right hand But I'll tell you in earnest, I'm a dangerous man I've fought with the law since I was seventeen I robbed many a man to get my Vincent machine Now I'm 21 years, I might make 22 And I don't mind dying, but for the love of you and if fate should break my stride I'll give you my Vincent to ride

Come down, come down, Red Molly Called Seargeant McRae For they've taken young James Adie for armed robbery Shotgun blast hit his chest, left nothing inside Come down, Red Molly to his dying bedside

When she came to the hospital, there wasn't much left He was running out of road, he was running out of breath But he smiled to see her cry Said I'll give you my Vincent to ride

Said young James, In my opinion,there's nothing in this world Beats a '52 Vincent and a red-headed girl Now Nortons and Indians and Greeves won't do They don't have a soul like a Vincent '52 He reached for her hand and he gave her the keys He said I don't have any further use for these I see angels on ariels in leather and chrome Swooping down from heaven to carry me home He gave her one last kiss and died And he gave her his Vincent to ride.

-- Richard Thompson

...thanks John for bringing memories of a great song and exceptional machine =-)

Reply to
Gary Tateosian