Reversing light switch

Where would I find the reversing light switch on my 73 super.

Cant see one on the tranny.

If there isn't one, can I fit one ?

Thanks Rich

Reply to
tricky

Isn't it at the nosecone of the transmission on the top? Mine didn't work when I bought my bug and I ended up running a manual switch because I didn't find the switch location until later.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

My transmission is still in the car. Looking from underneath I couldnt see any switches or wires.

Rich

Reply to
tricky

On the front face of the nosecone, there will be a round threaded plug. It will be to the right of the shift lever/rod if you are standing behind the car. Drain the oil before removing the plug.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Rich,

The switch is located on the nosecose of the transaxle. You will be able to see it if you slide up under the car on the passenger side. The terminals face forward. Look near the front transaxle mount on the right side. Just so you know, the terminals are interchangeable when you go to wire it up.

Speaking of, don't be surprised by the lack of wires. The wiring for this circuit was completely missing when I got my 1974 super. In addition, my switch was a dud. If your switch is the original, plan on replacing it. Fortunately on the super beetle you can replace the switch without pulling the transaxle. I seem to recall that you cannot do this on a standard beetle, or perhaps it was just the swingaxle beetles. Be prepared to catch a little gear oil if you remove the switch without draining the transaxle.

Anyway, one wire should come from the hot side of the coil, then it goes to a fuse holder above the alternator/generator, and then down through the rubber grommet on the forward breast tin and then forward from there to the switch. The hole in the forward tin for this is on the right side. The second wire comes from the other terminal on the switch back through the same rubber grommet and plugs into a single wire connector that branches off for each reverse light behind the firewall insulation. I think the wires are blue if memory serves correctly. On mine the plug/blue wires were buried behind the tarboard but I got lucky...the lights lit up when I applied 12 volts. Saved me some work there. Here's hoping you have similar luck.

one used for the brake light switches. Since I didn't have that piece I just used two of the 'crimp' connectors you can get in the bubble pack at autozone and plugged them in manually. If you go this route make sure you solder and shrinkwrap the connectors.

Good luck with it.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

It's probably okay. Check the wiring in the engine room. Oh, and if you reverse the polarity, it acts as a kill-switch - that's why it dies when you put it into reverse. I consider it an anti-theft device.

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

Thanks to all

I will get back underneath in the spring and see if I can install one.

It doesnt look like it was ever fitted. I have after market rear lights so I cant tell, but there doesnt seem to be any wiring for it.

Rich

Reply to
tricky