King pin and link pin rebuild kits.....which one?

Hey folks,

I'm gonna rebuild the front end of my '63 Bug this week, and it needs king and link pin rebuild kits. I'm just wondering which one to get, the German or Brazilian (there's a good difference in price)? Have any of you had bad or good experience with them? I would think that the quality should be close, but I wanted to ask some people who would know. Thanks!

Dane Tyler '69 Bug '63 Bug

Reply to
Dane Tyler

The easy answer is, always buy the German. Is there a *big* difference? Probably not.

Bigger question: have you ever done one of these? Besides the hyd press, you need the precision reamer to "size" the bushings. IMHO it's a whopper job and one I wouldn't want to learn on for a one-shot.

(If you have done them, then you already know all this...)

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Jim,

Maybe I should rephrase this...I'm removing the steering knuckles and am going to let a machine shop or alignment shop do the reaming and pressing. But I have to purchase the rebuild kits myself, and was curious as to which one to buy. It will probably be the German one since its better to cry once, especially on a big job like this. But I know the existing ones are worn out, and it needs new.

Thanks,

Dane Tyler '69 Bug '63 Bug

Speedy Jim wrote:

Reply to
Dane Tyler

I used the German when I did mine. I have heard that the others might have different tolerances and require more machining to get it right. Since the original was 35+ years old before requiring replacement I could not argue. Here is a link to the rebuild when I did it on my sandrail.

Good luck!

Reply to
t_puls