late BUS shifter linkage details?

Hi all,

It's been too many years since I owned a baywindow bus, and I am currently fixing one up for someone.

The shifter has a LOT of play in it, and it feels weird. Sloppy. Hard to find gears accurately. You know.

I replaced the nosecone shifter rod coupler but it still feels loose. I know to replace a shifter bushing in a beetle shift rod, inside the tunnel. But is there one in a bus? While crawling under there briefly, I couldn't find one.

There was however one spot that had lots of free play: the ehd where the shifter hooks up to, has a horizontal hole in it which accepts a guide pin of some sort. This pin is VERY loose in the hole, allowing generous amounts of free play. Just looking at it and wiggling things up there, I'd say it needs to be nice and tight, and well lubricated. I wonder if originally there was a plastic bushing in there that deteriorated or wore out, and that's what's causing the looseness?

Am I correct in assuming there is no beetle-like shift rod bushing in a late bus,m but instead this guide pin is what's doing the job? It would make sense.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

There are 2 bushings on the long shift tube. They look like badmitton birdies. The ones on the market today do NOT fit! But 99 out of 100 are not bad. They are 13 and 16 in this pic:

the biggest problem is the front bushing. #15.That one is the 1st to wear out. On a late bay, it is a dealer item only. Part #211 711 182 Some online vendors will try to sell you a type 1 front bushing and say it fits. Don't waste your time and money.....they don't work correctly.

Reply to
Karl

THANK YOU!!

Looks like the picture shows two alternative designs. The setup in this bus looks like the lower style front end, where you see the #19 piece. I suspect that to be worn. No #15 anywhere in this car.

That #19 is either missing or severely worn. I could easily fit a small screwdriver in there with the guide pin.. I don't think it's supposed to be like that.

Dealer items huh? Maybe I'll ask.. :)

Jan

Karl wrote:

The ones on the

fits. Don't waste your

Reply to
Jan Andersson

You said 'late' :) ...... #15 is around 76 to 79.

birdies. The ones on the

in this pic:

fits. Don't waste your

Reply to
Karl

Hehehehe

right.. this is a 76 as far as I know :D

Thank you!!

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

It was a nylon bushing and is the first thing to go. Make your own out of brass of bronze "Oilite" material.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

"I'd say it needs to be nice and tight, and well lubricated."

HHhhmmmmmm,.

J.

Reply to
BergRace