Shift rod bushing

My '64 Bug was in desperate need of a new shifter coupling and shift rod bushing. I had never replaced a shift rod bushing before so I did a newsgroup search to get ideas about the best way to accomplish the task. Popping the new bushing in place wasn't too hard and it looked like a couple of people recommended attaching a wire to the shift rod before it passed through the bushing and then feed it back so you could pull on the wire through the shifter coupling access. I looked around my shop for a suitable long piece of stiff wire and couldn't find anything immediately. Another idea came to mind. I greased up my rod, shoved it in the hole, got the tip of it inserted in the bushing and then grabbed a long piece of 3/4" wooden dowel and pushed my rod all the way in with one long stroke. I was all finished in about sixty seconds. And I didn't have to yank on it. Wow, my shifter feels great now. : )

>>Mike
Reply to
Mike64Bug

Paraphrasing:

"I greased up my rod, shoved it in the hole, got the tip of it inserted in the bush and pushed my rod all the way in with one long stroke. I was all finished in about sixty seconds. And I didn't have to yank on it. Wow, my ..... feels great now. : )"

ROTFLMAO

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I didn't know you had it in you. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Reply to
Shaggie

Oooooo. The ultimate compliment! Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

"Speedy Jim" wrote

Should we change that moniker to `Naughty Jim'? :-)

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H