linkage alignment

Hi Y'all,

I have a question regarding shift linkage for a swingaxle. I purchased a sand rail that has a volkswagen transaxle. The swingaxle has been installed with the motor slightly higher in the rear than the front about 7-10 degrees. Supposedly to create more ground clearance for the rear engine cage but I suspect just bad planning during the welding process.

The problem seems to be that with the shift rod "level" and the swingaxle at an angle I have broken a couple nosecone bearings off the nosecone. I am contemplating elevating the nosecone portion to level but this would leave the nosecone a couple inches higher than the shifter.

So would I be better off having the shifter platform and the transaxle level with the ground but transaxle nosecone higher. Putting the shift rod at an angle.

Or simply elevating the nosecone just enough to create a straight line with the shift rod. Leaving both shift rod and nosecone at an angle off level but in line with each other?

Reply to
Robin Preiser