Little PipeThingy?

While gazing mournfully at my bus's partial kit of cooling tin I noticed a little pipe sticking out of the shroud right next to the right-hand carb's air filter.

You can see this little pipe on the shroud on

http://63.230.74.177/ghia/MVC-0271.JPG It's above the shop rag, and to the left of the red lift handle, on the edge of the shroud at about the 10 o' clock part of the curve. About

1/2'' in diameter, and about an inch long. The pipe in the picture appears to have a gray cap on it, mine does not. What does that little pipe do for a living?
Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Never seen one of those before, somekind of pressurized hook up.... One of the T2 guys surely can help.

J.

Reply to
BergRace

It is supposed to go to the charcoal cannister on later bugs.

Reply to
Karl

it is unemployed if the vapor recovery tank(charcoal) and other related parts have been removed from your bus(from the factory there were a series of hoses that ran from the gastank to vent it and to capture the fuel vapors) the "pipe" would have connected to the canister. And NO you can not hook your breather hose here(sorry if i am not reading your mind correctly, LOL)

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

LOL -- no, I wasn't thinking that -- but thanks for the warning, anyway. The emissions from the crankcase gotta go someplace that can handle pollution, I figure. Even I know enough to know that the air in the shroud needs to be kept clean. After all, it will blow into the passenger compartment.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

that is not what would happen...that "pipe" would pressurize your engine in a positive way if hooked to the crankcase "vent" line...causing excessive positive pressure that is likely to push oil out the pulley opening, especially at highway speeds...makes a mess...have seen it done before....

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

No kiddin'? So the pressure in the shroud is greater than in the crankcase. I guess that makes sense! Okay, learn sumthin' new every day.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

When your vehicle (or engine) was new, the hose from this pipe connected to the charcole canister located in the right rear fender well. The rotation of the cooling fan created a lower pressure in the hose which helped the canister pull escaping gas fumes from the gas tank into the charcole.

IIRC, this first appeared in the '71 model year. And was installed in order to meet US smog/emission restrictions.

Reply to
Luft Gek?hlt

Well, no. Pressure inside the shroud is actually not very high. Less than

1 psi above atmospheric. High CFM, low pressure. I had a conversation via email about this with Howard Washington and Bob Hoover some time back about this. Wish I had saved the email.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

my point wasn't so much that the pressure is or isn't "high" but that it would put a positive pressure on top of any positive pressure produced by the engine into the case...and with the vent hose connected to the shroud, no way to relieve the pressure except the "easiest" place....normally the pulley opening...

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

Well, Squirrel I was reluctant to even read the post at first considering the header .........LOL I finally opened the message , and then was a bit afraid to click on the link..............As you know this is a sometimes odd group and you are quickly becoming one of the odd..............LOL

AS It stands, Your little pipe is very similar to other folks little pipe, and is an output ( read Pressurized ). It was Put there somewhere in the late sixties, and is not necessarily indicative of a doghouse style oil cooler , but most of the ones I have seen have been of that variety. The Air outlet supplied by your little pipe, is supposed to be hooked directly up to the charcoal canister on your vehicle. This pressurizes the fuel ventilation system, or something like that, and forces the fuel vapors to the carb through the original air cleaner , which will not be in place on your twin carb setup, huh,.............might wanna disregard the rest of this dribble then.......................LOL

As we have all learned, you, as well as most of the rest of us, have the dreaded PO issue with your bus. ( I'm guessing here, but you've probably already figured out it's a label given to the PREVIOUS OWNER.......PO ) If they left the canister, you can actually refill it with new stuff and use it, provided the rest of the system is in place also and all will be functional. *****one of the guys on this group has a source for the charcoal filler stuff and should chime in about now, as the whole idea is that the groups contributions are to help others****** Considering the person (unknown at this time ) is incapacitated due to a healthy (or un-healthy) amount of alcoholic consumption due to the holiday , you could do a google search on charcoal canisters on this group......................I am certain you would have excellent results.

Hope this helps

P.S. Still can't find my Bentley Manual, since the wife went cleaning..........so this may not be 100% accurate, but the gist should be there.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

I've got that same issue going on, but I'm currently afraid to blame the missus.

Reply to
Michael Kelly