Front Axle Beam

Hello I just got a 1974 blue bug it needs a lot of work i mean it looks ok but it wont run half the time an the suspension sucks. the guy i got it from made it look good but it's not. I am looking for a front axle for the 1974 bug thank i hope someone can help me lol. I am in Walland TN

Reply to
Brian Knoblich

Is the axle beam bent from an accident or rusted out? If not, I would keep the old beam. Replace ball joints, shocks, tie rod ends.

BTW, on a '74 you have to saw off or bend out of the way the safety bumper struts before you can remove the beam.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

it's rusted out it some places. really i did not know that thanks. I just got the car about 6 weeks ago. an been trying to make it run an all lol. thanks Brian

Speedy Jim wrote:

Reply to
Brian Knoblich

If the beam is rusted, I would take a hard look at the rest of the car before sinking any cash into it. Could be a money pit.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

That's very good advice (as always, Jim).

Should you find that only the beam needs replacing, go to:

and search for "frontbeam". At the moment there are a few around. Most are in CA, one in GA

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Reply to
Packrat46

........Very good advice. If he does have a bent or rusted beam and chooses to replace it, I purchased a rebuilt from spindle to spindle beam from a mail order retailer (this was before there was an Aircooled.Net) several years ago and the shipping by truck freight wasn't as bad as you might think. Don't remember the amount for the truck freight but it couldn't have been more than maybe $40 from California to my driveway here in upstate NY. I just recently removed that beam from my '70 bug and installed it on my '77 and finally started getting some good use out of it before putting the bug away for the winter.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Reply to
Brian Knoblich via CarKB.com