master cylinder change

I'm thinking of changing my single circuit 61 master cylinder to a dual circuit for a little more safety and was wondering which mc to use. i.e. easy bolt up, no need for any xtra valving etc. any ideas? thanks, Dave

Reply to
dc

You should be aware that modifying to dual circuit requires the installation of a different reservoir as well. The dual circuit reservoir has two compartments inside, so that when one of the two circuits leak, the other circuit has fluid supply. This reservoir is installed in a different location, in the side of the trunk on a tray, so some time and effort will be spent to find a way to mount the reservoir. It is pointless -- safetywise -- to use a dual circuit master cylinder if you do not use a dual circuit reservoir. Another thing wou should consider is the diammeter of your old single circuit MC. If it is 17mm, then switching to a dual circuit MC which has

19mm diameter, will need 20% more pedal force for the same amount of braking (But normally 17mm MCs where used from 65-67, and yours should be a 19mm).

Bill, '67 bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

I mounted a dual reservoir in the place of teh single reservoir. Another converted bug had two single reservoirs mounted in the original location, side by side.

Jan

Bill Spiliot>

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Jan, Do you have disc brakes? If so, did you use a proportioning valve? I'm going to put a 68 Gia front end on my replica someday. It has disc brakes. Thank you, Larry Hill

Reply to
Larry Hill